Did you mean: 

Unable to extend lv: Failure due to contegious allcation polocy

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jayraj
Frequent Advisor

Unable to extend lv: Failure due to contegious allcation polocy

Hi,
when I am trying to extend / I am getting below errors...

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg00/lvol3" could not be extended.
Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.
Failure possibly caused by strict allocation policy

But there are free extets available, I have changed the strict polocy to non strict polocy by using

lvchange -s n /dev/vg00/lvol3

after that when I am tried to increase the lv, I am getting, below error.

Failure possibly caused by contiguous allocation policy.

can we change / to non contegious allocation polocy..?. If not how to increase this lv...?
3 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Unable to extend lv: Failure due to contegious allcation polocy

>>can we change / to non contegious allocation polocy..?

NO! / MUST be contiguous.

>>If not how to increase this lv...?

Create an Ignite backup of your VG00 and then rebuild your system from that backup. When rebuilding the system you can change your LV sizes.

Why do you think you need to extend the /? Are you running low on space?
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

pvmove lvol4 to another disk
extend lvol3 and the file system

pvmove lvol4 back to the boot disk. lvol4 does not need to be contiguous.

lvol1, lvol2 lvol3 are special they must be contiguous.
sujit kumar singh
Honored Contributor

Hi Swaraj,

the /dev/vg00/lvol1, /dev/vg00/lvol2 and /dev/vg00/lvol3 on a standard basis are the boot(satnd),Primary Swap adn the root LVs on a boot disks and that they have to be set properly as strict Policy( -s y) and Contiguous (-C y ) for the Technical Requirement of the OS Strictly.

Please revert back the root LV to be Strict and contiguous (lvchange -s y -C y /dev/vg00/lvol3) immediately.

And to extend the root LV and/or the lvol1 and lvol2 must follow the standard techniques.
Ignite backup and restore is one of them in which you take a backup of the running system on a tape that is bootable and use tha tape to install the OS on the system using the advanced option wherein you can choose/modify the Sizes of all the LVs on the rootdisk.

The other method as suggested that if you have more of feree space in the VG as available(or you can add a disk to the VG vg00 to have more of available space) you can pvmove the lvol4, extend the lvol3 online (if you have ONlineJFS then you can also do the fsadm to extend the FS of /dev/vgoo/lvol3) and if Online JFS is nit there you shall need to taje the system in the LVM Maintenance mode so that you can get the extendfs to work on the root LV that is /dev/vg00/lvol3 once you have done the lvextend on /dev/vg00/lvol3 after doing the pvmove for lvol4.

You can then boot the system normally and do a pvmove back on the disk provided you have enough space in the disk.

if you have the mirror of the Root Disk you can pull out the mirror disk while you try doing an Ignite Restore Installtion using the Ignitre Tape. This shall help you with additional roll-back Option, whence the roll back to orig confign if reqd you can boot the system with the Removed disk snd remirror the disk that you have done the ignite restor onto.

Regards
sujit