7196 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unable to install Oracle Linux 7.3 in ProLiant BL460c Gen9

angel_lopez
Occasional Visitor

Unable to install Oracle Linux 7.3 in ProLiant BL460c Gen9

Hi,

I'm triying to install Oracle Linux 7.3 in a ProLiant BL460c Gen9. The only special setup that this server has is thet the total number of cores has been limited in BIOS, just 3 cores per CPU has been enabled for a total of 6 cores.

When I boot the ISO and the kernel starts booting it crashes with a Kernel Panic. If I leave all cores enabled it boots OK, but with some cores disabled ther kernel crashes.

I've tried booting Oracle Linux 6.8 with the core limitation setup and it boots OK too, so it seems to be an issue with the core limitation in BIOS and the Linux Kernel version used in Oracle Linux 7.3 installation DVD.

Any idea what's going on here? Any useful kernel parameter to try on boot?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
simplylinuxfaq
Frequent Advisor

Re: Unable to install Oracle Linux 7.3 in ProLiant BL460c Gen9

You could install RHEL 7.3 and after which can disable cores except 0. If you wish to disable 2 cores (logical cpus as per OS) out of 4 then you could add "nr_cpus=2" to the end of line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=" then run the command "grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg" and reboot the system. Once system is up, verify the number of logical cpus online with the command "lscpu" which should say.....

CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1

All the best.

Thanks,
SimplyLinuxFAQ