K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unable to mount root device 806

Did you run "lilo -v" before rebooting?
Reputation of a thousand years can be determined by the conduct of an hour
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

When you compiled this kernel did you also include support for ext2 filesystem?
Todd Kennedy
Frequent Advisor

Yes I did run lilo -v before rebooting and ext2 is compiled in staticlly.

Why would the mkrootdev fail? That's the real question here.
Todd Kennedy
Frequent Advisor

Ok I am past the point of mounting root. That part is working but it is getting mounted as read-only. So everything after that is failing. Does anyone know why this is?
K.C. Chan
Trusted Contributor

ok, that's great. What was causing the problem when your system tried to mount root fs during boot-up?

Lastly, what kind of error are you getting after mounting root? Are you getting [Fail] on ALL of your services as you startup?
Todd Kennedy
Frequent Advisor

The reason root wasn't able to mount was that I had devfs as auto starting at boot. I read an article online that said it mounts root and casues mknod to fail because root is already mounted. So by changing the config to not mount devfs at boot I got past that error.

The new error now is that root has been mounted as read-only. So all startup processses are failing because they can't write to disk. I thought the pivot_root is suppose to change root from read-only to read-write. What would cause this to not change?
Todd Kennedy
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I was able to boot into the new kernel with minimal problems. I think the devfs was causing some conflicts. So I disabled it and wala. It worked!! Funny how that (EXPERIMENTAL) label makes some things not work right..

So the only problem I have now is I didn't enable support for Extended real time clock module. So I have to recompile.

I think I've got it from here. Thanks for all your help!!!