1748150 Members
3670 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unigraphics graphics window crashing on C3000

Bruce Baillie
Regular Advisor

Unigraphics graphics window crashing on C3000

We are using a C class workstations for Unigraphics CAD and all the 360's run just fine with HP-UX 11.00 32 bit. I recently installed a C3000 with 11.00 64 bit and sometimes the graphics window disappears and leaves no error messages. Now I installed a C3600 and the same thing on this machine. No help from Unigraphics because I have all required patches installed. A search on UP-UX patches didn't help either. Am I alone in this boat?
Why can't we all get along?
8 REPLIES 8
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Bruce,

Well I'm unable to get into UG's web site to check their recommended patches documentation etc ......need a license key :( ....however I have a few questions ......

Have you ensured any kernal parameters recommended by UG have been set correctly ?

You say the application disappears, is the UG application the only thing that's affected or does the Xserver and/or mouse hang ?

Are users performing a specific set of actions on the CAD image which result in the problem ..... ie its reproduceable ?

I'd check just in case : /var/dt/Xerrors and $HOME/.dt/errorlogs just in case something has been logged by the Xserver or CDE.

I'd be tempted to run glance to see if any system process,memory or kernal parametrs are reaching their max as that sounds what this might most likely be at this stage .....

Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

Hi,

if you don't have any errormessage its pretty hard to say anything. Are you really sure there are no messages.

Did you check for corefiles, /var/dt/Xerrors, .dt/errorlogs?

Could you start UG in a shell, to see if there remain any messages in the shell if UG dies.

Do you run any kind of licensemanager? Is the license imediately released if UG dies?

Hope you can find some information and tell us.

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Bruce Baillie
Regular Advisor

The /var/dt/Xerrors and $HOME/.dt/errorlog are empty on the C3600 which has had 5 occurrences in the past 2 months. When it happens the user does a save and quit and restarts UG.
The only kernal parameters UG recommends are for memory and swap. The system has 2GB memory and 2GB swap. The Unigraphics process does not die. The menu bar is still active and work can continue, but the graphics window is gone. Mouse and keyboard are ok. The problem cannot be reproduced and it has happened while the user was away. The license manager is of no use because UG is still running.
Unigraphics recommends the following and they are all installed.
HP-UX 11.00 with ACE 9911
B6268AA_11_00 Patch to provide support for FX5/FXX10 graphics cards.
PHSS_19964 11.00 Xserver cumulative patch.
PHSS_20736 LIBISAMSTUB patch.
XSWGR1100_11.00 Part of ACE bundle.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

Doesn't sound like an Xserver problem more application specific ..... I'd get back to the UG support people to investigate it further ?
Stefan Schulz
Honored Contributor

The only thing that should happen while the user is away from keybord is the screensaver jump in.

I think this is dump, but is your screensaver active? Try to disable it.

The only other thing i can think of is the configuration of your Xserver. Pherhaps there is some conflict with the settings like True Color / Pseudo Color / Direct Color and UG.

Hope this helps

Regards Stefan
No Mouse found. System halted. Press Mousebutton to continue.
Bruce Baillie
Regular Advisor

Thanks for trying to solve my problem but I personally do not think UG development spent enough time with their product on this HW/OS configuration. I am going to upgrade shortly and the new version of UG uses the OpenGL driver, so my problem should go away.
Leah Baker

I've got Unigraphics running on C3000's and C3600's.
Some are running HPUX 10.20 and some are running HPUX 11.0.
I ended up for the ones running 11.0 installing the following bundle in addition to the ones recommended by UG, and I'm having no problem.
Good luck.

XSWHWCR1100 B.11.00.53.8 HP-UX Hardware Enablement and Critical Patches, June 2001
Carol Kindle

Bruce,
I've got bad news for you. I just loaded HPUX-11.0 on my C3000 and C3600 workstations and have the same problem. UG does not seem to be of any help. I am currently running V18.0.1.2
and V16.0.4.2 concurrently. UG wants me to load all the latest HP patches from Dec. 2001.
I will receive this as well as UG 18.0.2.1 within the next week. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

Sympathetically yours,
Carol Kindle