4244 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Uninstalling DB2 using SWREMOVE

JJ_8
Occasional Contributor

Uninstalling DB2 using SWREMOVE

Hi All.

I am trying to uninstall DB2 using SWREMOVE but I get the following errors, I have never used HP-UX before so I am quite lost. Would apprciate if someone could help me out.

ERROR: Cannot continue the Analysis Phase until the previous errors are corrected.
* Beginning Analysis Phase.
* Target: moby:/
* Target logfile: moby:/var/adm/sw/swagent.log
* Reading source for file information.
ERROR: File "/var/adm/sw/products/DB2V7ENTP/pfiles/INFO" does not
exist.
ERROR: The catalog files for product
"DB2V7ENTP,l=/opt/IBMdb2/V7.1,r=7.1.0.40" failed to load.
Check the above output for details.
ERROR: Cannot continue the Analysis Phase until the previous errors
are corrected.
Thanks a lot in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Uninstalling DB2 using SWREMOVE

Hi,

unless the software was installed using the standard install tool 'swinstall' then you won't be able to remove using 'swremove'. To check what has been installed using 'swinstall' you can use 'swlist -a revision'

If the software is in a particular filesystem it can removed that way.

HTH
~Michael~
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

Do you have the directory

/var/adm/sw/products/DB2V7ENTP

swremove will use the information herein what to remove from your DB2 installation.

Did you use swinstall or IBM's setup scripts when installing DB2

Regards
rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

DB2 wasnt installed using HP's Software distributor (swinstall) so you cannot remove it using swremove. Check your DB2 documentation as to how to remove it.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
JJ_8
Occasional Contributor

I checked and came across that someone installed DB2 using the db2setup utility but as for instructions on removing db2 the docs ask to uninstall using swremove. I also came across the db2_deinstall command for removing db2 from solaris platform. can i use this command on hp-ux as well?

thanks
Tom Byrne_1

Well, Here is my first reply ever to one of these questions! Time to start paying back!

I think you'll find that DB2 does suggest using swremove as the way to remove DB2, even though is has its own install procedures.

The trick is to remove dependencies/checking. This will let swremove get rid of what it finds instead of doing nothing because of what it doesn't find.

I've done this 5 or 10 times with no trouble. You should also check /etc/inittab to be sure the DB2 startup has been removed. I'm not sure if all flavors of DB2 products load that way, but the ones we are using seem to.

Hope this helps!
JJ_8
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tom.

Thanks for getting back, Sure appreciate it. I tried out the swlist -a revision command and there were a few mentions of DB2 in it. Yes you are right, I also cannot find the db2_deinstall script in the CD so the only way out must be to use SWREMOVE.

Could you pls let me know how to remove the checking/dependancies you mentioned. I am totally new to HPUX so your reply would really get me out of this situation.
Thanks a million!
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

in the swremove GUI choose the options menue and change the check dependencies button.

Regards
Rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...
JJ_8
Occasional Contributor

How do I invoke the swremove GUI. My apologies for these daft posts but I really do need HELP!!!

Thanks a million to all the kind people who are answering my questions
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi JJ:

There are no "daft posts". When you don't know the answer, any question is valid!

To run 'swremove' (or 'swinstall', etc'), interactively, you can simply enter the command without options at the commandline. This will launch an interactive session. In this mode you can pull-down the "options" box and uncheck dependency enforcement.

From the commandline, you would use '-x enforce_dependencies=false' to turn off the requirement to resolve software dependencies.

Have a look at the man pages for 'swremove' for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...