Operating System - Linux
1753797 Members
7115 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Universal Print Driver PCL 5 + CUPS causing spooler crash when adding printer.

Tony McCall1

Universal Print Driver PCL 5 + CUPS causing spooler crash when adding printer.

We have a Linux server managing our print queues with CUPS. CUPS communicates directly with the HP P4515x using the socket://hostname:9100 protocol, all the queues are raw and exposed with IPP. I was trying to add the printer on a Windows XP machine using the PCL 5 Universal Print Driver and at the very end of the process after copying the device drivers my print spooler would crash. After restarting the spooler the printer would appear and worked.

The problem is we use a custom installer program for adding printers on clients machines and the spooler crash causes a failure of all subsequent printers to be added. We have worked around the problem by locating a PCL 6 driver specifically for the printer but I would like to use PCL 5. Our best guess is that the UPD is trying to communicate with the printer in a way CUPS is not allowing and that’s causing the crash, but really that’s just a guess.

Anybody ever seen this or have any ideas? Again this happened at the end of the printer install with the PCL 5 Universal Print Driver on Windows XP, with CUPS managing a raw queue for an HP P4515x.

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1
gunasekaran.j
Advisor

Re: Universal Print Driver PCL 5 + CUPS causing spooler crash when adding printer.

hi

Could you please check the CUPS Service Status(Run levels) and reload CUPS Services in Linux Server.

Regards
Guna Sekaran