1752815 Members
6111 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Universe zombie user sessions

albcantabria
Occasional Advisor

Universe zombie user sessions

Have anybody any experience with zombie user sesions in Universe over HP-UX 11.11.
6 REPLIES 6
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

Yes you find these process because of application error, memory leak etc. the parent process dies and leave the process hanging because. These zombie process can not be killed and the only option is to reboot to get rid of them.
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

Yep. I saw this problem in AIX but it assembles the same symptom. You have to find which universe program is giving the culprit. Last time I attend this problem, it was the universe spooler program (file name: uv ).
albcantabria
Occasional Advisor

Any workaround to reboot?.
Khairy
Esteemed Contributor

yep. This leave you no choice but to reboot. Before rebooting, make sure the universe is not auto start after reboot. Check with you universe support which program/modules is creating the defunct processes.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Note that a zombie program consumes *NO* resources in the computer. It is simply an entry in the process table, so unless there are hundreds of these zombies, I would not worry about a reboot. However, you do need to identify why the processes are turning into zombies or defunct processes. The users may be crashing their PCs or improperly turning them off, but normal HP-UX SIGHUP handling would properly terminate these trashed processes. The parent of a zombie is the culprit program (or script).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
albcantabria
Occasional Advisor

We have some "hang" user process that overload cpu (90%).