3881 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unregonized filesystem

Jonathan Caplette
Regular Advisor

Unregonized filesystem

Hi guys,

I try to mount a magneto-optical disk on an HP system, but when I mount it, I obtain this error: /dev/dsk/c#t#d# : unregonized filesystem... What I suspect is that the disk has been formatted, and written when the magneto-optical was on an old IBM... What I wanna know is, can I in some way to mount a filesystem that I don't know the type??

Thanks...
Jon
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Machols
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unregonized filesystem

run the fstyp on the device file and that should show you.
Helen French
Honored Contributor

Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon,

I'm having to go back about 6 years to when I supported an optical jukebox on AIX. The software we used, AMASS, presented all the optical disks to AIX as a filesystem. The individual disks were not mounted as individual filesystems.

So my question is, do you know the optical disk was actually written as a filesystem? You probably need to investigate how the disk was actually written.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello,

aiming in the same direction as the previous reply:
could it be that MO disk was used in a "VBFS" (Very Big File System) = HP OmniStorage?
Then it is only part of filesystem - not a complete one of its own. And you'll need the additional software (for OST see: http://www.openview.hp.com/products/omnistorage/index.asp )

HTH,
Wodisch
Frank Slootweg
Honored Contributor

What you can try is:

dd if=/dev/rdsk/... of=/tmp/record bs=8k count=1

file /tmp/record

od -bc /tmp/record | more

and check if the file(1) command can make sense of it or/and the od(1) output gives some clue.