1748201 Members
2945 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unusual ATI radeon chip ID

Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Unusual ATI radeon chip ID

I have a recent HP Pavilion notebook that supposedly uses an ATI radeon mobility graphics adapter. I can run this adapter under Linux using the VESA framebuffer driver (with associated slow VESA performance), but I am unable to get any XFree86 radeon driver to work with this adapter because the radeon drivers don't recognize the chip ID (0x4337). Can anyone tell me what ATI model number (e.g. 7500, 8500, etc), chip type (e.g. M6, M7, etc.), and minor product ID (LW, LX, LY, etc.) are supposed to be associated with this graphics adapter? I think if I can get this information I should be able to modify the radeon driver code, and build a radeon driver that will work with this adapter.
21 REPLIES 21
Vincent Stedema
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

It seems like it's a "powered by ati" chip, which has been modified by hp. Maybe you should post this question to the "workstations" forum and hope that an engineer from hp comes up with an answer...

Regards,

Vincent
James Hubbard
Advisor

You probably have the ATI U1 (IGP 320M) graphics controller which seems to be some type of Radeon. There is no XFree support for it.

--James
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Actually it's an IGP 340M (at least judging by the info available from Windows XP). It looks like a radeon, smells like a radeon, and works like a radeon under Windows. I realize XFree86 doesn't support it, but I've looked at the radeon driver code, and there are only 3 very minor variants of radeon. The real problem is that the radeon driver code doesn't know about any chip with an id of 0x4337. If I can figure out which of the 3 minor variants this chip is like. It should be easy to add an entry for this chip to the driver code and rebuild a working driver.
Robert_151

Not sure if this will help have a ze4200 running a dual boot with XP Pro and Red Hat 8.0. I was able to use the mobile Radeon 9000 driver and it worked. All the others would not test properly. However, I still do not have the screen resolutions to fill the display working with the center half of the screen in X. Didn't matter which driver I used. What do you use for monitor type?
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about trying one of the newer drivers. Are you using the Radeon 9000 driver from the ATI web site or the Radeon 9000 driver from gatos.sourceforge.net?

I have had some success using the standard XFree86 radeon driver by forcing the ChipId to 0x4c59 (one of the known radeon M6 ids). But I am still unable to use hardware acceleration because none of the kernels (I use 2.4.20) recognize the ati host bridge (0xcab2) implemented by HP.

I use 'Generic Laptop Display Panel 1024x764' for my monitor ModelName. You can check out the rest of my configuration at

http://www.cybersym.com/pages/linux-ze4100.html

Bruce
Robert_151

Hello,
I am using the driver that came with the Red Hat 8.0 Xwindows setup. Not a very technical deduction unfortunately. I just played around selecting them in the graphical setup for X I would go to the to the next screen and test it out it was the only mobile Radeon I could get to work. Not very proficient yet at Linux just starting to figure it out so not very proficient at setting drivers still need the hand holding through the wizards. If you have any luck please let me know. Thanks Robert
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

Thanks. It might be helpful to everyone if you could include a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config file. Also the lspci output for your system. [As root, type lspci -v > mylspci; then include a copy of mylspci.]

Bruce
Robert_151

Hello,
After looking at the information you were talking about looks like I owe an apology. Though in the XF86Config Identifier it says ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 it still is using the vesa driver(generic) and when I run Ispci command it shows unknown device 4336. Sorry for the confusion.
Bruce Copeland
Trusted Contributor

That's OK. I'm well aware of the surprises that occasionally show up in XF86Config files produced by 'probing'. If you're still having trouble with your display appearance, you might want to temporarily replace your XF86Config file with the one I use currently. That might tell us something useful.

Bruce