Operating System - Linux
1751967 Members
4592 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Updated Red Hat HTTP/FTP/ISO installation service offered to public

Updated Red Hat HTTP/FTP/ISO installation service offered to public

I'm not sure if anyone here would be interested, but my supervisor suggested I post a link to our site on the forum(s).

We maintain an updated version of Red Hat Linux (currently version 9) that contains all of the updated packages from Red Hat as well as a few customization packages (which you can choose not to install) that tweak some permissions and/or services. The updated distro. is rebuilt every night providing daily ISO images and HTTP/FTP installation trees. We started doing this with 7.2 and have had much success and demand for it ever since. We use it heavily inside the U. of I., but it is also offered to the rest of the world since it's proven to be so useful. The URL is:

http://linuxsite.divms.uiowa.edu

In addition to fully updated base HTTP/FTP/ISO images, package updates are mirrored from Red Hat, as well as "yummified" for use with YUM, a great RPM package manager out of Duke University. (http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/).

It's not for everyone, but it certainly makes mass installations much quicker as well as novice installations much safer.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any questions/comments.

~Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Updated Red Hat HTTP/FTP/ISO installation service offered to public

Hope your supervisor did not twist your arm to hard and you are still able to answer, I had a look around, iso distribution and yum I have question on a few customization pakages, is there a way to have a look at these (a list, a file ? that notes modifications and reasons ?) like the ideas of having a updated iso but cautious about customization, I can see yum would be usefull in an enviroment as a university, but for my purpose I find up2date works well.

nice web/page usefull the resume of last update.

J-P

Smile I will feel the difference
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the link, Chris,
Your site seems to have a wide bandwidth, which is in itself a VERY good quality !
:]

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Forget that question I read on and found the faq about the customization.

Yes, like that !

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
JJ Urich
Frequent Advisor

The U of I actually makes us band limit the site as we were the top talker going out... That is another long story. But the bandwidth is still pretty reasonable given our current user load.

We find the site most useful for novice users. They can download these images, have all of the latest updates installed, and if they chose our customized load, it as Chris indicated, fixes some glaring permission problems and disables services like ftp, telnet, etc.

JJ
I used to have spare time, then I had kids.