Operating System - Microsoft
1748083 Members
5406 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating RAM on home HP9895<<NEW>>

SGDefiel

Updating RAM on home HP9895<<NEW>>

Hey folks, none of the categories seemed just right for this question so I'm gonna lay it here and see what stirs.

With a HP9895 Pavilion with 128MB RAM (unknown type) what is the best type RAM to upgrade to 512MB. A pair of 256MB ... what?

Are PC600 RAMBUS (RDram) the best I can get without wasting money and capacity?

Who has the best memory store around?

Thank you,

SGD
Windows ME
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Specs on your PC

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion33346&docName=bph06543&cat=#P24_382

say you need:

Intel PC600 RDRAM 400 MHz.

Furthermore since you are still running ME you are limited to 512M.

You could replace your existing 128 with 2 256Ms.

Usually www.crucial.com is a good place to start looking for your memory but they don't even carry RAMBUS. Kingston has some but it's faster than you need so I don't know if it would work but the price they want for a 256 is $120. You might pick some up on ebay or find some used on the web but it's sort of risky. Your best bet would be to either junk the thing and buy a new or used one or install a new motherboard or perhaps get a barebones and move your components over.

Ron
SGDefiel

Ron,

Thank you for your reply. I wouldn't normally think to trash a two year old HP system, but those days seem to be upon us. I appreciate your time,

SGD
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

I think Ron was referring to getting rid of your motherboard and replacing it with one that uses SDRAM. The rest of your system is fine. I searched Ebay for PC600 (RDRAM) and found 20 items. Thought I'd let you know.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger