6426 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade 10.20 to 11

Fabrizio Fiorito
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade 10.20 to 11

Hi all,
is possible to execute the installation of HP-UX 11 as an upgrade of 10.20 ?
If yes, i need to reinstall programs and applications ?
Thanks in davance,
Fabrizio
6 REPLIES 6
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade 10.20 to 11

Many discussions abound in the forums regarding the upgrade. The prevalent feeling is it is better to do a cold install of 11.00.

Can do a search for the subject.
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Hi Fabrizio,
Most of us think that although you can do an upgrade, it is better to do a new install, anyway if you were running Oracle for example you would have to relink and/or install a version for HPUX11...
Look at th other threads on the subject on this forum.
Good luck
Best of all
Victor
Dan Hetzel
Honored Contributor

Hi Fabrizio,

When we had to upgrade to 11.0, I first tried the upgrade instead of the cold install on the very first system.
I soon realised that the upgrade was leaving our server in a less than clean state.
I did a cold install on top of that and things were much better.

I suggest you the cold install, as it would prevent the waste of time

Best regards,

Dan

PS: You'll have to reinstall your apps, and even relink the executables if you're running Oracle
Everybody knows at least one thing worth sharing -- mailto:dan.hetzel@wildcroft.com
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

The consensus of this Forum is that a cold-install of 11.x is the most likely error-free route. There are a multitude of tips and guidelines available here. Do a search for "11.20 and 11 and upgrade" for instance.

...JRF...
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

I concur with Rick. Save yourself a lot of time and effort and heartache and do a cold install of 11 instead of upgrading to 11.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

Yet another reason (opportunity) to do a cold-install is that this is an ideal time to resize your root filesystems and/or replace a small boot disk with a physically larger one.

...JRF...