1751940 Members
4736 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgrade question

Paolo_R
Advisor

Upgrade question

I have succeeded in installing openVMS 8.4 in FreeAXP. I now have a file named 'openvms_alpha_8_4_update500.zip' on my Windows 7 laptop. This zip file contains 'VMS84A_UPDATE-V0500.ZIP.EXE' and 'VMS84A_PCSI_V0200.ZIP.EXE'

How do I go about applying these updates? I believe that I have to load my OS CD and choose the upgrade option, but then how do I get these .ZIP files into OpenVMS via Putty so that the upgrade can take place?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Booting from the installation CD isn't required to install the patches you listed.  Getting them from your laptop to the OpenVMS instance...that is another question.  Check with the vendor or with a website focused on discussing the emulator itself about how to move files from the "PC side" to the VMS instance.  When you move them to the VMS instance you should change the file extension from ".ZIP.EXE" to ".zipexe" on the VMS "side."  Once they are moved to the OpenVMS instance/disk you should expand the ZIPfiles by "running" them like an executable image (for example $ run VMS84A_PCSI_V0200.ZIPEXE) which will extract the installation kits to a VMS directory.   $ SET DEFAULT to that directory and then:

$ PROD INSTALL *

You SHOULD get a list of the installation kits in that directory.  Select the one for the PCSI kit FIRST and install it by itself.  After this completes it's installation logout and log back into your emulator.  Restart the installation by setting default back to the directory with the kits and issue $ PROD INSTALL * again.  This time select the option for the UPDATE kit and install it by itself and reboot your emulator...however that works.

Getting the files moved to your VMS emulator from Windows is your first hurdle...

bob

Paolo_R
Advisor

Bob: thanks you for that. I've posted the question on the FreeAXP forums so I'm hoping someone will be able to assist with the 'transferring from Windows' aspect of the question.

I think I can then follow your instructions on the OpenVMS side :-)
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

you need to configure and start TCPIP on the OpenVMS system and copy the patches via FTP from your Windows system to the OpenVMS system. If you're just trying to 'learn' OpenVMS, installation of the patch kits is not required.

Configuring TCPIP also needs the OpenVMS licenses to be copied installed on OpenVMS, that you can do with cut & paste (use $ CREATE filename and then paste the text of the license file into the Putty window).

Volker.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Paolo_R
Advisor

Steven: answering the questions in your .txt file:
(i) all files, including the one I referred to, I got via the Hobbyist VMS program FTP site, details of which were provided by the program coordinator
(ii) you are quite right, I inadvertently added a dot to the file extension which is, of course, .ZIPEXE
(iii) No instructions - just a patch manifest.
(iv) I am trying to read the documentation (!) . PuTTy can handle TELNET sessions apparently - I am using it because it came with FreeAXP. So I guess I need to sort out the TCPIP/FTP. Your comment about emulated disks - I had thought of that - I have an emulated CD-ROM and a CD-Rewriteable disk from which I might be able to transfer the files into OpenVMS.

Thanks for your comments.
Paolo_R
Advisor

Volker: as far as licenses go I have installed the full Hobbyist license file which, I am pretty certain, covers me for TCPIP.

I am pretty sure that I installed TCPIP when I installed OpenVMS so I need to find out how to use it.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Paolo,

you configure TCPIP with @SYS$MANAGER:TCPIP$CONFIG

Volker.