4453 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade ..........

Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

Jim,
being a bad loser ;) I did compare GR & HWCR patches one per one and I did find some patches in HWCR which were not available in the GR bundle. But I do have to admit that I was rather amazed that the difference was very small.
regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Thierry:

WOW! Which one did you compare? Everytime I've checked I found them as I stated.

You're not a bad loser at all! Your contributions are excellent!

...JRF...
Thierry Poels_1
Honored Contributor

PHCO22627
P???22900 (can't read my own writing, sjips ;)

PHCO21267
PHCO22628
PHCO22839
PHKL20675
PHKL22807
PHNE15472
PHNE19633

and others ...
regards,
Thierry.
All unix flavours are exactly the same . . . . . . . . . . for end users anyway.
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Theres a couple of issues here;

1. These bundles are designed to work together as a bundle, so not all patches in the HWCR bundle may be in a larger GR bundles because they dont work together so well.

2. These bundles are not necessarily committed at the same time, so its possible newer versions of a patch may make it in to one bundle but not the other, so again very slight differences may result, which I believe you are seeing.

However, HP clearly state in their documentation that the HWCR bundle is a subset of the GR bundle.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Servio Cabrera
Advisor

The proper way to upgrade a patch bundle is to use swinstall option Actions->Manage Patch Selection-->check on "Automatically select patch..." -->Ok. Then you will have a list-->Action-->Install.
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Thierry (and others):

I examined the contents of the March 2001 GR1100 and HWCR1100 bundles in a bit more detail back through the Patch Database.

You're right that I couldn't match patch-for-patch exactly, but I can account for patches addressing the same fundamental issues if only in slightly later form. For instance:

PHCO_21267 in HWCR incorporates PHCO_21187 in GR

PHCO_22628 in HWCR incorporates PHCO_21315 in GR

PHCO_22686 in HWCR incorporates PHCO_21892 in GR

PHCO_22733 in HWCR incorporates PHCO_15220 in GR

PHCO_22839 in HWCR incorporates PHCO_21630 in GR

Clearly, this is the moving-target or Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal in operation. With my regards!

...JRF...