5043 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading IBM SDD Drivers

LynnG
Advisor

Upgrading IBM SDD Drivers

Hello all -

Curious if anyone has gone thru the process of upgrading the IBM SDD drivers and/or HBAs on an HPUX 11.23 server.

Take for instance I have an HPUX 11.23 server running IBM SDD driver 1.7.0.3 currently with the fibre card level listed below:

FibrChanl-00 B.11.23.0512 PCI FibreChannel;Supptd HW=A6795A,A5158A
FibrChanl-01 B.11.23.0803 FibrChnl;SupptdHW=A6826A,A9782A,A9784A,AB378A,AB379A,AB465A,AD193A,AD194A,AD300A

If I were to upgrade to the latest IBM SDD drivers what steps would I need to take to perform this action so I would be in the latest compliance for the DS8000 I am attached to.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading IBM SDD Drivers

Ibm provides 2 interoperability tools and a PDF matrix for this purpose. Look in the bottom center of
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/supportresources?brandind=5000028&familyind=5329633&taskind=4
LynnG
Advisor

YES, I have seen this matrix and I have seen certain "upgrade" materials from the IBM site. The problem is most seem rather outdated. I am looking for someone I can talk to who has actually performed this operation ... Although the docs are good, I have always found there are "undocumented steps", I am looking for exacts if possible. This seems to be something not a whole lot of people have actual experience in and I'm trying to cover my bases. Thanks for the response
TTr
Honored Contributor

We use SDD 1.7.1.0 on HP-UX 11.23 with AB379 HBAs. You already have a newer sdd version.
LynnG
Advisor

I understand I have a newer SDD version, however what is the process to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of SDD which is 1.8.0.2. The .pdfs I have talk about older versions not some of the newer versions.

I need to know if it's a matter of making map files, exporting off volume groups, removing the disks, uninstalling the software, reinstalling the newer software, then bringing the disks back and reimporting or if it can all be done on the fly by a few simple commands then uninstalling the old software and reinstalling the new, then running a couple more commands to bring the vpaths back and being done. This is the information I am looking to see if anyone has performed before.

Thanks again in advance
TTr
Honored Contributor

The new 1.8.0.2 depot has a checkinstall script which checks for previous installation of SDD and asks that you remove the old version before installing the new one. It is in /catalog/IBMsdd_tag/IBMsdd_commands/checkinstall

Taking all precautions is a good idea. Run vgexport in preview mode and use -m and -f options to save mapfile and pv information. If I rememnber correctly, as soon as we installed the 1.7.1.0 sdd, it went ahead and did the PV conversion process on its own. It run vgexport and identified the new sdd paths and ran vgscan/vgimport using the sdd device files. So removing the old version might revert you back to pv-link disk device files.

I think the vgexport/vgimport process is extremely critical to be performed on a casual basis as in this case by sdd without any warning. I would have preferred to have the sdd driver installed and create the sdd disk device files. Then I could either make the conversion manually on my own or let it make the convbersion for me.

If you have a test/dev server do it on that server first.