New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Suggestions Required Plz 2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading Suggestions Required Plz 2

Folks,

Going on from my recent question. I purchased today an Athlon XP 2400 CPU. However, when I install it, I get the audio error "System failed to bootup" over and over and nothing happens. I have tried all the CPU Ext Feq settings on the mboard (from 100Mhz to 230Mhz) with the same results.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Barry
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Barry:

If this is related to a previous message, you need to cut and paste it in the previous message thread. If you really want to start a new message thread here, you need to re-post all your system specifications and problem history here.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Roger,

This is a follow on from previous post a few days ago entitled: Upgrading Suggestions Required Plz - posted to the 'General' forum.

Mar 11, 2004 15:58:33 GMT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Folks,

I have the following spec. What I'm looking for is suggestions on what would be the best single thing to upgrade to effect overall system performance. I presume the CPU but that is only a semi-educated guess.

WinXP Pro
Asus A7V333 Mboard
512Mb RAM
GeForce 4 Ti4200 GCard
Athlon 1.4G Processor
IBM 40Gig 7200 HD

Cheers all

Barry
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Barry:

The US website is down right now but the information is available on the Taiwan website. Check this out:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

On the 'Downloads' section of their website you can find BIOS upgrades (if necessary).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
The Real MD
Valued Contributor

check the compatability of the CPU and motherboard. Check the power requirements, I had a machine with a very small power supply so when I added a few extra bit 'n' pieces it failed to boot. Dis-connect the hard disk and graphics card and try booting, you should get the memory count.

Just a few ideas

I hope this helps

Martin.
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

Roger,

Thanks for the advice. I was running BIOS v.1017 on my Asus A7V333 so I flashed to 1018 but with no success.

Curiously, the is a lable on my mboard saying Revision 2.00 so I may be able to flash upto this level if such a BIOS version exists. Will try that next.

Martin,

Thanks for the advice - tried these things with no joy. I dont think its a power thing as my previous Athlon did and still works fine when i put it back in.

Cheers

Barry
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Barry:

Revision 2.00 on the MB pertains to the hardware. Typically, this wouldn't have a bearing on the BIOS version.

If you go here:

http://www.asus.com/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

then select Query by MB, select Socket A(462), then select A7V333. The resulting page indicates that Athlon MP 2400 is compatible with your MB.

Having said that, I can't find info about how to set it up/install it/make it work. I have taken the liberty of sending a message to Asus requesting information. I'll tell you as soon as I hear from them. I'm sorry I'm not more helpful but I almost never use AMD CPUs.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Barry Hunter
Frequent Advisor

"I'm sorry I'm not more helpful..."

LOL

If this is your idea of not being helpful, you should be RUNNING microsoft!

Cheers fella,

Barry