3439 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Uprade from 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.3 to 11.0 and Oracle 8i

Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Uprade from 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.3 to 11.0 and Oracle 8i

Hey all,

I have a K-class server currently running HP-UX 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.3. I need to find the best way to get from here to the same server running HP-UX 11.0 and Oracle 8i.

I have started to scour books/manuals/the net on the best way to go about this. I was wondering what the pros would do in this situation, so I am putting it to them (namely, you all :) ).

Any hints, tips, tricks, etc... on the best way to go about doing this. This is a pretty important server, and any plan we come up with has to include minimal downtime (like there actually exists a plan that has unlimited downtime built in... :) ).

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
11 REPLIES 11
ajax13
Frequent Advisor

Re: Uprade from 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.3 to 11.0 and Oracle 8i

Hi,
If you have oracle 8i installed on the HP/UX 11 machine, I recommend using export/import for the database.
exp system/password full=y file=xyz.dmp
then on the new server
imp system/password full=y file=xyz.dmp

Thanks
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

The answers can vary widely depending upon how you currently have your 10.20 system and Oracle configured.

If you have your oracle DB's and software on a different VG, other than VG00, then things are a little easier. You can "export" your non-VG00 volume groups, then after your "upgrade", you can import them.

Make sure you have two good "make_recovery" tapes, and a few non-VG00 backups first!

I wouldn't try the upgrade from 10.20 to 11, instead I would do a "cold" install of 11, which BTW is safer.
Live Free or Die
linuxfan
Honored Contributor

Hi Timothy,

Not sure how your present setup is, but if all your application data is on a non-root disk then its a little bit easier. Like Harry pointed out, make sure you have make_recovery tapes. As far as installing 11.0 is concerned you can look at

Quick Start Guide for Easy Setup HP-UX 11.0 (HP-UX 11.0)
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/B5532-90001.pdf

HP-UX 11.0 Installing and Update Guide
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5971-0642.pdf

http://www.hp.com/workstations/products/unix/operating/hpux11/cookbook/cookbook.html

If you have a free disk available, you can install 11.0 on that disk and then import all your other VGs.

-Good Luck
Ramesh
They think they know but don't. At least I know I don't know - Socrates
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Timothy,

first: make backups, of course
second: check them
third: add more disks, and install Oracle8i onto them
4th: copy your Oracle7 files over and "migrate" them
to Oracle8i
5th: backup Oracle8i and the migrated data files
6th: test the backups
7th: install HP-UX11 from scratch onto additional disks,
patch it
8th: restore your oracle8i and data files, test it

The reason for the additional disk space needed, is that
you will need completely different disk layout for HPUX11,
and much more space for Oracle8.1.7 (~2GB for the
codefiles alone!).
And your root VG's config must simply be changed to
allow for bigger disks in the future (as substitutes for
broken ones), and same for data VGs!

HTH,
Wodisch
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hello Timothy,

In April, I did a database migration from Oracle 7.3.4.5 on HP-UX 10.2 on a K-370 to an Oracle 7.3.4.5 on HP-UX 11.0 (64-bit) on a N4000, both running apps 10.7. It was very complex, but I would be happy to give you some information.

Basically, here are the steps we followed:

1. setup the new box with the OS and the Oracle binaries.
2. Shutdown the database on the old machine.
3. Copy all the datafiles/controlfiles/ifiles, etc to the new machine.
4. Relink all the new Oracle Apps objects.
5. Modify the ifiles
6. "Recover" the new database using the backup of the controlfile to trace.
7. Some more basic housekeeping duties.

I know this is pretty vague. We actually had a long procedure list for this. We copied an 80GB database with only 18 hours downtime. It would've been much quicker, but we had some serious constraints we had to meet.

Anyway, if you are interested, email me at the address below and I can give you much more detail.

Best of luck,

Jared
jwestgate@sunsoftlenses.com
Timothy Czarnik
Esteemed Contributor

Hey all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I want to clarify that the server that is currently running 10.20 and Oracle 7.3.3 is going to be the same server that in the end will be running 11.0 and Oracle 8i. We have no intermediary server, so all installs/upgrades have to be done on this machine.

What I think I'm seeing is that I should load/patch 11.0 on a separate disk first, then import the Oracle 7.3.3 database VGs and configure for use (I am of the understanding that Oracle 8i needs 11.0 and won't run on 10.20 - please let me know if I'm wrong here).

Once we have 7.3.3 running on 11.0, then I can begin the process of exporting the Oracle database, install/configure Oracle 8i under 11.0, again onto separate disks, then import the data.

Is this correct? Am I totally off track here?

Again, thanks in advance for the help!

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Hi Timoty,

First of all, really important, generate 2 sets of Ignite-UX tape ( entire vg00 : with option -A ) .

This can allow you to restore any configuration file to RELATIVE place on disk.

You may save the following :
- Network configuration including NIC info ( speed, mtu size, duplex, ..)
- NetBios configuration
- Advanced Server for Unix configuration.
- Disks configuration ( LVM ).
- Users accounts and their environments.
- Users Groups.
- Scheduled jobs.
- Kernel parameters.
- /etc/hosts file.
- List of installed software and patches.
- Application specific configuration ( for Oracle : tnsnames.ora, initSID.ora, LISTENER.ora, ... ).

/etc/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/nsswitch.nis
/etc/profile
/etc/fstab
/etc/mnttab
/etc/hosts
/etc/services
/etc/rc.config.d/netconf
/etc/rc.config.d/nddconf
/etc/resolv.conf

/var/adm/cron/at.allow
/var/adm/cron/cron.allow

the list from /dev/vg* for creating volume groups and logical volumes.

/usr/spool/cron/atjobs/*
/usr/spool/cron/crontabs/*

Magdi

Dave Chamberlin
Trusted Contributor

I think a key factor here is to be able to practice! I am moving our production from 10.20 to 11.0, from a K460 to an N server with no change in Oracle (7.3.4). In contacting local HP distributers, I easily obtained 2 "loaner" machines (an L and an N). Both have only 2 18G internal disks, but my database will just barely fit into 30G. So far I have installed from scratch, HPUX 11.0, Oracle server and Oracle Apps 10.7. I have never done it before. There have been some difficulties, but I have learned a LOT, in doing this, and since Friday, it is funtional! I plan to do this several times, and now feel real confidence that I can do my move without problems. If your database is small enough, you may be able to practice your upgrades in the same way. I certainly would not want to upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8i cold turkey...
I have also found it useful to have a backup of my database on disk (as zipped datafiles) which lets me refresh my data very much quicker than tape. It took less than 4 hours to bring up the instance on another machine. Hope it goes ok for you - 8i is my next challenge and I plan to try it while I have these loaner boxes...
Jared Westgate_1
Valued Contributor

Hey Timothy,

I missed that it was on the same server. I guess I was just a little too excited about my migration! ;)

It sounds like your plan will work to me. The most worrisome part would be how much work would it take to make your 7.3 database run on the 11.0 OS. Once you've gotten that far, you are in the clear.

All you would have to do from there is install the Oracle 8 software into a new Oracle home. Copy the datafiles to the new home. Then, bring up the database using the new Oracle software. Make sure that you shut down the database before you copy the files or bring up the new one. Then, if all else fails, you could still bring up the old database. Its always good to have a backout plan.

Have you ever considered setting it up as a standby database to replicate the data, then just stop the old one and let the new one come up? There may be some advantages to doing it this way, like no downtime. I don't know, I've never done it.

Just a thought,

Jared