1748239 Members
3734 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Urgent! network setup

Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Urgent! network setup

The OS is RedHat 7.2, workstation, KDE. I am trying to set up the network using DHCP, the DHCP configuration is fine, but I got error message "unknown host" when I was trying to access web sites.

At the same time, I got error from /var/log/messages
insmod:/lib/modules/2.4.7-10/kernel/drivers/net/eepro100 0:insmod etho failed.

Does it mean the NIC did not set up correctly? How to resolve it? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Eugen Cocalea
Respected Contributor

Re: Urgent! network setup

Hi,

Are the rest of the network commands working ok (ie ping, telnet)?

I suspect you have a DNS problem. If so:

edit /etc/resolv.conf and insert the following into it:

search your.domain
nameserver primary_nameserver
nameserver secondary_nameserver

E.
To Live Is To Learn
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

If you got insmod eth0 failed then, assuming that your primary NIC is eth0 and assuming that this is a Intel EtherExpress Pro card, the problem is that the NIC drivers are not being loaded.

This is probably due to a IRQ and/or Base Address conflict. If you know what these are set to, then you should be able to specify them in /etc/modules.conf and try to reload the driver using insmod.

Here is a web page that might help a bit more:

http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html

Hope this helps.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Victor_5
Trusted Contributor

Hi Santosh:

I agree with you, it is a driver problem. However, when I try to change IRQ from KDE, it said that:
"the ethernet card could not be initialized. Please verify your setting and try again."

I also went to the web site you mentioned, but I don't think it helps me a lot. How can I update the driver? Or can I use another separated NIC and disable the original one, because the original one was coming with the motherboard together?

Your reply will be really appreciate.

Shawn
Santosh Nair_1
Honored Contributor

Shawn,

In the past when I've had these problems, I've usually had to resort to booting to DOS (from floppy) and running the diagnostics utility to determine all the settings on the card and then pass these settings to the driver via the /etc/modules.conf file.

Also, check /var/log/messages for the model of the ethernet card (it should show the model when you try to load the driver). If you can post the model of the NIC and/or the motherboard type/model it would help.

-Santosh
Life is what's happening while you're busy making other plans
Marco Paganini
Respected Contributor

Hello Shawn,

One important thing to try:

insmod eepro100

(as root)

This command will load the module manually. Send the error messages (if any). Also, send the output of the "lspci" command.

Regards,
Paga
Keeping alive, until I die.