Operating System - Linux
1745786 Members
3238 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Urgent problem with Linux/XFree and Compaq Presario 2812/ATI Radeon M7.

Nutria
Occasional Contributor

Urgent problem with Linux/XFree and Compaq Presario 2812/ATI Radeon M7.

Hi.

Is urgent, I need solve my notebook problem with XFree86. Any forum where to ask to compaq people/users?

Help please.
Nutria
7 REPLIES 7
John-Thomas Gaietto
Trusted Contributor

Re: Urgent problem with Linux/XFree and Compaq Presario 2812/ATI Radeon M7.

Well Being that you never asked a question Here on the help forum (IT resource center forums > Linux) we can't help you until you do. Best of luck to you. However Red Hat 7.3 has support for the Radeon M7 with the XFree86 version 4.2.0.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Umm, actually *cough* he did ask yesterday, but no-one responded.
One long-haired git at your service...
Nutria
Occasional Contributor

Sorry. I explain the problem (really badly) yesterday. So I'll explain again. Excuse my english.
I've buyed a Compaq Presario 2812, it comes with XP Home as OS, and has an ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility (aka M7, aka LW (I'm not sure of last one)).
The problem appears with XFree86.
This graphic card is supported by version 4.2.0 of XFree86 but when X starts, some vertical lines appear shifted.
I ask Compaq, and, as XP is the factory installed OS, they don't give any kind of support about other OS (in Spain, I don't know about other countries support).
I talk with some maintainer of XFree86, in irc channel, that ask me the PCI-ID of the graphic card, and this ID let as see that is a build from Compaq, not ATI, so the incompatibility, perhaps is produced by any kind of modification of ATI hardware done by Compaq.
The possible solutions that he propossed was: tweak the config to correct the problem, or correct the incompatibilit in the radeon driver. I'm trying contact him again to try the first one.
The question is that I'm sure that Compaq should had more incidents reported about this incompatibility, or problem.
I find a guy in a forum that presented the same problem, and a proposed solution was used the 3.3.6 version of XFree86. I tried but also fails.

So.... any idea?
A log of XFree is at http://danifb.tripod.cl/index.html if someone like take a look. Is from SuSE 8.0 distro, but, I installed RH 7.3, because all out Europe linux users use this and would be easier to try correct the problem.

Thanks again for any try to solve this.
Nutria
James Wilson_5
Frequent Advisor

Everything looks OK, but you could try to set your colour depth to 16 instead of 24 (Doubtfull) or limit your horizontal sync and vertical refresh to values compatible with the LCD.

Mine are:

HorizSync 31-50
VertRefresh 60-61

You could also hook up an external monitor to see if is the driver.
Nutria
Occasional Contributor

Ok, good idea try the monitor.... don't occur to myself. The output monitor is OK.
I change the refresh rates to those you said, but it continues giving same result.
Then this problem means is not any kind of incompatibility between XFree and the driver?
What more changes I could try?

Thanks a lot for the efforts.
Nutria
James Wilson_5
Frequent Advisor

I sorry for not responding earlier..
If you external monitor works OK it means the driver work and we just need to tweak the monitor.

Maybe we should look at what your default reselution.

In the XFree86Config under the "SCreen" section I have the following:

DefaultDepth 16
Subsection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768/60Hz"
virtual 0 0
EndSubSection

etc.

See what yours is set to. Please remember I am using XFree86 4.2.
Justin Hayes

I had the same problem and I came across the following solution on the web:

"Every time I want to start X, the display gets unreadable. There are
vertical stripes and it looks all a bit weired.
I have installed RedHat 7.3 with XFree 4.2.0 and with the known fix to
change the driver statement in the XF86Config-4 to "vesa" the system works.
But is there any other solution for this problem, because with this setting
I loose the 3D-accelleration and I don't want to buy the drivers from
XIGraphics."

I made this change (set driver to "vesa" instead of "radeon" or whatever it was) in my XF86Config-4 file under the device section for the ATI graphics device and it worked. I don't know anything about the problem with losing the 3D accelleration but this solved the problem (for now...)