Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use pipe to unload/load database tables

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chushia
Frequent Advisor

Use pipe to unload/load database tables

I have a server rp5430 with HP-UX 11i running Informix IDS 9.40. I want to reclaim some database storage by performing a table reorg. I'm using a named pipe for unload table in one shell and simultaneously load table in another shell trying to eliminate the need of intermediate large files.

I tested on a smaller table and the result of using pipe is not what I expected. The pipe is as big as I unload to a data file, generating a large intermediate file. On top of that, the load shell can terminate while the unload is not finished. These just don’t show much benefit of using pipe over a normal way of “unload to file, and then load back from the file”. I think I didn’t use pipe properly. Could you gurus give me some advice ?

Thanks,
Chushia
6 REPLIES
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Use pipe to unload/load database tables

>> I think I didnâ t use pipe properly. Could you gurus give me some advice ?

If you show me yours, then I'll show you mine.

Seriously, how exactly did you use the pipe?
Did you use mkfifo, or mknod name p ?

fwiw,
Hein.

Chushia
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Hein,

I forgot to do a mkfifo ... now it's working as I expected.

Thanks!
Chushia
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Hein, is there a difference?
All I've ever used is mknod -p. I've read the man pages, and I fail to see a difference.
Can you enlighten me as to why mkfifo is different/better thank mknod -p? Other than in this case, it works... but why?
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>TwoProc: why mkfifo is different/better than mknod p?

Because mkfifo(1) does what its name implies and nothing else. It also has -p and -m.

Also its option is on the correct side of the filename (left).
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

As Dennis replied, mkfifo seems more descriptive.That's all.
Hein.

TwoProc
Honored Contributor

Thnks Dennis and Hein
We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett