108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: User login in Linux

SOLVED
Go to solution
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

User login in Linux

This is probably a basic question. I have a user that is defined as a NIS user. When I try to login the message comes, "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this mean that there is an installation problem or that yo umay be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions...". What is a quick fix for this? Obviously there is a problem in the ,.profile or .Xdefaults. can you please guide me in this?
Regards
19 REPLIES 19
Dan Beeler_2
Occasional Advisor

I found this at the website listed below...hope it helps.

Try this boot your linux with the RH9.0, and during the installation choose something like 'system update' to update your system. after update, do the RH upgrade again with your Xwindows.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Administration/Q_20695627.html#9062544

I would try editing the /etc/inittab to have a default run level of 3. This would allow you to make any changes and then you can try your X environment by running startx.

Hope this helps.

--dan
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

Have you configured all neccessary fields on your NIS server for this user?

Try to log that user on using text mode (just use Ctrl+Alt+F1). Does these messages appear?

root@wotan's password:
Last login: Mon Sep 1 17:57:46 2003
Could not chdir to home directory /rooto: No such file or directory
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: error in locking authority file /rooto/.Xauthority

If something like this appears, then you haven't populated your NIS database correctly. I don't have a NIS machine available now, but you can use "ypcat" commands to check up all the fields of your NIS server.

HTH
Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't solve my problem fully. The NIS server is an HP -UX machine running 10.20.
I did define my windows correctly using the xterm command and putting it in .profile for that user. But I cannot get a desktop user login field back if I exit from this user. How do I set up a desktop for a user in Linux?
I would appreciate a url or a write up that can be pasted here.
Appreciate the help
Regards
Paulo A G Fessel
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean.

Could you copy the screens and attach them to this topic?

Also, as I understand your problem is not X related, but it's NIS related. For example, the NIS points to the correct home directory of the user? Can you access the home directory of this user when you log on?

Also, normally it's neccessary NFS-mount the /home from a server, which can be the NIS master server itself or another machine which is a memeber of the NIS realm that exports /home to the machines to the domain.

[]'s
Paulo Fessel
L'employ├Г┬й propose, le boss dispose.
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

I think that you problem is that your nfs user doesn't have his home directory automatically mounted on NIS server...

Generally you need to share via NFS /home directory on NIS server and on client machines
to enable the autofs service.
The syntax for /etc/auto.misc is the following:
* -intr,soft,rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 NIS server's IP or hostname:/home/&
on one line of course...
Dave Falloon
Trusted Contributor

I would recommend against a soft mount when using autofs over UDP with linux. There is a potential for lost data. Check out the linux NFS faq for more info:

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/#section_e

I had this problem with an HP-UX machine exporting to linux as well. I fixed it with proto=tcp in the autofs auto.master and it seems to work a lot better. You will need to have a kernel that supports NFS over TCP and as far as I know it is still listed as experimental although I have used it for months.

I hope that helps,

Dave
Clothes make the man, Naked people have little to no effect on society
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

1) does "su - username" work OK?

2) does non-graphic (telnet) login work?

If no, please send us error messages you receive.

Rgds,
vitaly
Samuel Mathew
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the several answers. My replies are as below:
Dan Beeler: I can't upgrade to Red Hat 9.0 now. The X environment is starting up. I get the login screen. I can switch between text and gui with Alt-Fn keys.
Paulo Fessel: I don't get that error. When I log in as a user samm, I get a window that says, "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem" View details (~/.xsession-errors file)."
I looked at that file, it says.
"tset: standard error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device
/usr/bin/ksh: L????????[0]: tabs: not found
_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for cyber

(gnome-session:3291): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:logout"

Does this make sense? I hope you can get me some answer to what is happening..( I can access the home directory of this user as I can log on from a character terminal cntl-Alt-F1 login). The /home is automatically mounted automatically because of the entry in /etc/fstab. I have put the line there as
10.3.69.200:/home /home nfs defaults 0 0.
I don't have an automount entry. I anyway entered the auto.misc that Alexander suggested.No improvement....
Vitaly Karasik: su - username works in character mode. telnet login works fine too.
By the way I can login as root using the x environment and it shows the icons correctly. So what should I do get the other users (who are all nis users) to do the same thing. Again NIS server is HP-UX 10.2 and the clients are Linux.
Thanks for all the help.
Regards

My presumption: It is something to do with configuring the x envirornment of the user. I am not sure though.. I am novice to x environment
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

1) when NIS user login by telnet, does he get his homedir?

1.1) does NIS user have write permission for his homedir?

2) try to delete all .???* files from some_user homedir and try to login