Operating System - Linux
1752562 Members
4327 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Using Linux on Omnibook 6000 & VL400

albertini

Using Linux on Omnibook 6000 & VL400

I plan to buy both Omnibook 6000 & Vectra VL400 and install Linux RedHat. We will do mostly bureautics with StarOffice. There machines are not certified to work under Linux, but they are supposed to.

Does any body has experience about the problems I could have to face ?
Is it a good idea to use Linux on these machines or a dual partition Linux / Windows would be more secure in cas of problems ?
3 REPLIES 3
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Linux on Omnibook 6000 & VL400

Hi,

Alll these issues are treated at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Hope this helps,
Rik.
RikTytgat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Alll these issues are treated at http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Hope this helps,
Rik.
Jeroen_D
Regular Advisor

(oops I first selected new message instead of reply)

I have installed Windows2000 Professional and Linux on my portable.
Using the info on that previous link, I was able to use my NIC and Sound Card. I have no problems with the videocard either.

About the sound card : it is a time stamped version. You have to type soundon to activate it, but after a few hours the driver stops. You then have to type soundoff, soundon to re-enable it. However the amount of time you can use the driver will have decreased by 20 minutes. After a while you will no longer be able to use the driver. (That was what I read from the README)

So, sound works (played mp3's already) but time stamped, unless you buy the driver.
HP ? No license by any chance ?

I think this is an answer to all those who think about installing Linux on the Omnibook 6000. RedHat 6.2 is running just fine on it and I will soon install/upgrade to RedHat 7.0 which, as I've read has even better support for the apmd calls. It already works fine though. I have a monitor for the battery under linux which works just fine.

Stay in contact ? Well, why not : jeroen.demets@*NOSPAM*savaco.com

Of course remove the nospam.