jedd
Advisor

VMware Linux guest time running fast

Hello all
I hope that somebody can assist. I have the following environment
ESX 3.5 Update2 running on DL585
SLES 9 SP4 x86_64 guest instance
SLES 10 Sp1 guest instance
I have SAP applications running on the instances.
Here is the problem, I have time server that is linked via which I use to synch my virtual instances. The ntp time synchs perfectly when the SAP application is not running. When I start the SAP application, the time starts running faster until it resets and I get SAP application dump. I have tried all recommendations between Novell and VMware to set kernel paramters e.g. clock=pit, notsc or ignore_lost_tics. I have only one time server in our environment. I know for a fact that it is not a time server issue since all of our physical machines are synching correctly to the time server. At this point, I really don't know where to look at anymore. Here is a sample of the *paltime.pal.sap result of the command xntpdc -p
10.48.162.172 1 64 3 0.00009 -8.376848 0.00607
any assistance would be appreciated
3 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: VMware Linux guest time running fast

For vmware virtual machines, is not recommended the use of NTP. You must configure the vmware tools and set then to sync the clock with the host.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

VMware sometimes suggests not using VMware-tools for synchronization, e.g.:
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1006427

""Note: In all cases use NTP instead of VMware Tools periodic time synchronization.""
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Thanks Uwe, the document I have was outdated.

You provided the precise information.

Full description here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?