4361 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VNC issue on HP-UX 11i

Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

VNC issue on HP-UX 11i

Hi,
I hope that somebody can help with this.
We have been using VNC on our existing servers for some time now without any issues.
Recently we have had some new HP-UX 11i servers built and are having the following problem with VNC.

This is the command that we use to start vnc and it appears to work without any errors:
(The command is the same on our working systems)

/usr/bin/su - vncuser -c "/opt/vnc/bin/vncserver :1 -alwaysshared; export DISPLAY=$HOST:1.0;xhost +"

(Where $HOST variable is populated in the script and is the local system)

When we try to connect to the session using vncview (either the windows or UNIX version) we get the usual VNC logon screen.

After we enter the correct logon details, a window opens with a blue background and displays the copyright notices.
The window then remains in this state showing an hourglass cursor.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Our other servers open CDE and we do not usually get to see the Copyright notice screen (starts too quick to read)

There are no obvious errors in the vnc error log for this user.

Thanks in advance.
Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
8 REPLIES 8
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Login to the server via telnet and check for start*.log

This will be user home directory

This will provide you the clue what it is waiting for while loggin into CDE
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Unfortunately that was the log that I was refering to in my post.
It does not contain any obvious errors.
I have just installed the vnc application on another server (using the same binaries) and it works fine.

Could this be a security setting or a misconfigured X component?

Thanks for your help.
Remember to think before you react................but always make sure there is still time to react
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

are you sure all of X is installed (it isn't by default on some of the later releases).

does connectivity work with methods other than vnc (like ssh tunnels or whatever)?
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Hangs at CopyRights.

Is this a NIS setup !!

May be its looking for the home directory.
Did you try login in via Local user
Are you facing issues with all the users.
Create one non-user local user and try login in
Check if it works
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

Hi,

As far as I am aware all of the X components that we require have been installed. The same build works on another system.
This is not a NIS system and we can login using SSH etc without any issues.

VNC appears to make the connection as it accepts the vnc password and opens a window.
The window would usually display the CDE desktop, but on this system it just shows the usual logon copyright message with a blue background and hangs.
I still believe that this has something to do with security settings or routing as I believe that extra security 'hardening' has been performed on this server.
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

We have got a little bit futher with this problem.
If we edit the xstartup file in the /home//.vnc directory we can get a simple terminal screen running in VNC.

Edit line: xsession=/usr/dt/bin/Xsession
To read: xsession=/usr/dt/bin/Xsession1

Obviously Xsession1 does not exist and the rest of the file is then read.

We really want to get a proper CDE session running but this has allowed us to progress with our testing.

Any ideas why the Xsession is hanging?
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

This has now been solved.
I was investigating another issue on the same server, and noticed that the rpcbind process was not running.

After doing a warm restart of rpcbind, the VNC screen opened correctly.

The command I used was:
/usr/sbin/rpcbind -w

Thanks for all your help.
Mark Bly
Regular Advisor

Solved.

Restart of rpcbind