Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Control Strategy

aajk
Occasional Contributor

Version Control Strategy

Hi All,

I am using HP-UX 10.02 with PROGRESS DB. Now we are doing daily backup Xponent.db everyday which including all database and program object which from Disk -> Disk Dump and then tape backup (It takes 4 hours totally). If I want to recover some programs, I have to restore the program object from Xponent.db and then building the source codes. In this case, I want to backup the program source codes and program object directly. Also I like to back the Unix system as well. Would you give me some plan or strategy, please. Thank you so much!

Best Regards
Will
3 REPLIES
Magdi KAMAL
Respected Contributor

Re: Version Control Strategy

Hi aajk,

For copying HP-UX, or exactely, the entire vg00, you can use the cammand :
# make_recovery -A -d /dev7rmt/0mn
Attention you need to copy to NoRewind device with letter n at the end, in this example /dev/rmt/0mn. This not only copy the entire volume group vg00 but also creates a lif structure at the begining of the tape and copy with a tar-like format the entire vg00 after this lif area on the tape.
With this commad you can do backups for entire vg00 and/or clonning other systems by interupting the restore process and modifying their configurations ( server name, IP address, ... ).

For the other part of the question, sorry no idea about INFORMIX.

Good luck.
aajk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! I think it is helpful.
As your message said, "With this command you can do backups for entire vg00 and/or clonning other systems by interupting the restore process...", what does "clonning" mean???
aajk
Occasional Contributor

Hi.. and also... what is "lif structure"??
Thanks a lot!!