1751713 Members
4975 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vi editor

sdfsdf_2

Vi editor

Can someone please help me, I am trying to make a program that counts to 10, 5 times and uses while,until,do-while,do-until,and for commands.Thanks
No thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

And for which uni class is this for?

If you can't even make a program (hell, even a shell script could do this!), then what are you doing in that course?
One long-haired git at your service...
Fabio Aquino
Esteemed Contributor

Hi letter soup (sdfsdf) and Stuart Browne .

I do not agree with you Stuart . In my opinion , this forum is made to respond all questions - are they

"Impossible" or very easy , to help all kind of users .
Sometimes , this guy don't have even a certificate like you (RHCE).
Indeed , i'm very impressed with your knowledgements in Linux open source , but this is not reason to respond this way .

Fabio
Quando voc├к tem uma meta apaixonante , o que era obst├бculo passa a ser etapa.
John Poff
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I saw this question earlier and I have to agree with Stuart. I'll go out of my way to help anybody who wants help, but I'm not going to do the work for somebody. If the author had asked the question and then posted an example of how they thought it should work, then it would be fair and I would be glad to try to help. To simply post a laundry list of what they need without trying at all won't get them my help. The question just sounds too much like someone's homework assignment.

Sorry.

JP
Balaji N
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Agreee to Stuart and John's opinion. Every one is expected to do some ground work before he posts a question. a minimal ground work and what he has done to solve his problem. had sdfsdf did a bit of googling are reffered to any book on shell programming, he will get an out of the box answer.
and while on topic, a suggested reading abt an article written by esr
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

my 2p's.
-balaji
Its Always Important To Know, What People Think Of You. Then, Of Course, You Surprise Them By Giving More.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Fabio,

I'm most definately with John and Balaji on this one.

Any leg-work on this and they'd have an answer. The question *IS* elementary for anybody doing this level of computing!

The subject is at odds with the question, and the purpose of such loops is not even listed. If the spaghetti-user wanted to do macro's in 'Vim', then what was asked is most definatly lacking enough detail to make any answer worth while.

The types of loops requested here also look more like C structures than Vi macros, or even a Borne based shell.

Given the level of question, I'm doubting it's a Uni course actually. It's a tad bit too basic for any sort of Comp Sci course. Either way, it should be covered in the frist few chapters of their IT programming reference.
One long-haired git at your service...
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't mind helping out this person, but he's never assigned points to anyone whose ever helped him in the past. I don't feel much urge to do his homework for him either.

Chris
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

I would tend to agree with all the opinions. What he's given us could be a small part of a larget script. But we don't know that. there is no background or work posted as to what he's tried... and I also have to agree that given these circumstances and the fact that he's never awarded any points to any of his questions.... I say no. Howerver if he goes back and awards points to his other questions and gives us some background on this problem I'd be more than happy to lend a hand.
All paths lead to destiny