Operating System - Linux
1751778 Members
4607 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Video Problems with Redhat Linux 7.1 and Pavilion 8766

Jennifer Jensen

Video Problems with Redhat Linux 7.1 and Pavilion 8766

Hi! I just installed RH 7.1 without a hitch on a partition on my pavilion 8766. Running Xwindows, however, results in some screen flickering, and then back to the command prompt. I've tried changing monitor settings in XConfigurator, but with no luck... it pretty much has to be a video card issue, I think... the system came with a NVIDIA VANTA card. Is there a driver/workaround out there somewhere, or do I just need to spring for a new video card?
2 REPLIES 2
Bruno Cunha
Frequent Advisor

Re: Video Problems with Redhat Linux 7.1 and Pavilion 8766

Hello, what can you read in the Xfree logs ?
Do it today, don't leave for tomorrow
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Video Problems with Redhat Linux 7.1 and Pavilion 8766

Jenifer,

When you say that the system crashes, do you mean that the X-server is dying, or that the whole thing locks up? (Some other posts at
http://www.nvnews.net indicate that sometimes you can use the nv driver inplace of the nvidia with at least some success. )

Assuming that the driver is loading, the usual problem after that is a monitor that isn't properly configured (wrong refresh/scan rates, etc.) -- took me MANY tries with a fairly generic multiscan monitor to get the x-server to stay alive, and my color depth/screen resolution to remain at some acceptable level.

Posting your xfree logs would be very helpful to diagnosing the problem.
Mark