3450 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Video card installation

Milan Lelic

Video card installation

Hello,

I'm a Linux newbie and I need a help.
I have installed RedHat 9 in text mode since my video card (ASUS Gfoce FX 5200)is not supported. I have downloaded the driver on a WinXP NTFS partition. How to mount that partition, access and install the driver?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Woh ! This is the worst case scenario, as NTFS is not supported in standard RH9 kernel. You can copy it to a floppy or a cdrom (then from your linux shell, mount /mnt/floppy or mount /mnt/cdrom), or try to download it from your linuw box (lynx complete_file_to_download_path).

Then tell us what format is the file you downloaded. rpm ? Then just type rpm -ivh filename. Another one ? Let us know...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

An alternative to Jerome solution

Could be, If you have already install network ! why not use it to down load the file, as you did with NT ? ftp is available, lynx a web browser that works from character mode, also available is wget all theses tools have man page.

And perhaps it is a good way to start using Linux, may event be a nice challenge if you are new to this environment.

Just an other way to start using it and without X for a while.

Just a thought

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

To add ntfs support to your kernel there are two ways:
1. Manually recompile your kernel-this operation takes 2-3 hours and I suggest you to read few articles about linux kernel and it's compilation (www.kernel.org)
2.go to this link and download the appropriate for you rpm (RedHat Package Manager)
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html#down

to install it simply use:
rpm -ivh path/filename
after successfull installation you'll be able to mount that ntfs partition and to copy the driver.
as for the driver installation:
if it's rpm (should have rpm extension) then use the same command as above-this is the syntax for installation.
If it's a tarball, then extract it and read the readme file inside - it has all the steps.
Best regards.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

And the line to mount the ntfs partitions should look something like this

/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,user,umask=022 0 2

At least for the version I do have ro (readonly) is still recommended.