Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video card installation

Milan Lelic
Occasional Visitor

Video card installation

Hello,

I'm a Linux newbie and I need a help.
I have installed RedHat 9 in text mode since my video card (ASUS Gfoce FX 5200)is not supported. I have downloaded the driver on a WinXP NTFS partition. How to mount that partition, access and install the driver?

Thanks.
4 REPLIES
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Re: Video card installation

Woh ! This is the worst case scenario, as NTFS is not supported in standard RH9 kernel. You can copy it to a floppy or a cdrom (then from your linux shell, mount /mnt/floppy or mount /mnt/cdrom), or try to download it from your linuw box (lynx complete_file_to_download_path).

Then tell us what format is the file you downloaded. rpm ? Then just type rpm -ivh filename. Another one ? Let us know...

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

An alternative to Jerome solution

Could be, If you have already install network ! why not use it to down load the file, as you did with NT ? ftp is available, lynx a web browser that works from character mode, also available is wget all theses tools have man page.

And perhaps it is a good way to start using Linux, may event be a nice challenge if you are new to this environment.

Just an other way to start using it and without X for a while.

Just a thought

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
Alexander Chuzhoy
Honored Contributor

To add ntfs support to your kernel there are two ways:
1. Manually recompile your kernel-this operation takes 2-3 hours and I suggest you to read few articles about linux kernel and it's compilation (www.kernel.org)
2.go to this link and download the appropriate for you rpm (RedHat Package Manager)
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/redhat.html#down

to install it simply use:
rpm -ivh path/filename
after successfull installation you'll be able to mount that ntfs partition and to copy the driver.
as for the driver installation:
if it's rpm (should have rpm extension) then use the same command as above-this is the syntax for installation.
If it's a tarball, then extract it and read the readme file inside - it has all the steps.
Best regards.
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

And the line to mount the ntfs partitions should look something like this

/dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,user,umask=022 0 2

At least for the version I do have ro (readonly) is still recommended.