New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual connect failover time

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Virtual connect failover time

Hi,

What should I expect for failover time for 2 Virtual Connect Flex-10 units? For example, when updating the firmware, how much downtime should I expect to see on my blades when the first VC resets to activate the firmware and fails over to the second one? It may be minimal, but I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Ugo
5 REPLIES 5
JKytsi
Honored Contributor
Solution

up to 10 seconds with active/backup. If You config networks as active / active it is much less.

SO

VC_mod1
network_A

VC_mod2
network_B

network_A = network_B
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

I checked my shared uplink set parameters and they're both "Linked-Active". I set my NICS to active-backup (Network Fault Tolerance), and when I updated the firmware in the VC units, I have lost my ssh connexion to one blade. Is that normal?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

Did You enable "smart link" ? Without that the bond/team driver does not notice about the failover. Try also results with bonding mode 5 (transmit load balancing with fault tolerance).

Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Smart Link is enabled. How is mode 5 better?
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

You have two active NICs on bond instead of one.

I do not know your server profile and how You have arranged the flexnics, but in the simplest example.

mode5, bond members eth0,eth1 both sending and one receving data = 2x10Gb TX BW / 10GB RX BW

mode5, bond members eth0,eth1 one sending/receving data = 10Gb TX BW / 10GB RX BW