1751685 Members
4641 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vista "register your pc" reminder won't go away

Joven
Occasional Contributor

Vista "register your pc" reminder won't go away

I have a pavilion dv9000t custom configured with Vista preloaded, 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo, 2gb RAM, and 1600x1050 resolution screen, HD DVD drive. I've registered the PC but the "Register your PC to maximise your ownership and support experience" pop up keeps popping up. This has become very annoying. I even tried registering again for the 2nd and 3rd times and at the next reboot it reminds me to register again. How can I make this go way? Thanks in advance for your help.
7 REPLIES 7
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Dear Joven,

One thing to try is to run Windows Updates once your system is running (that is if it lets you).

I think you are going to have to call Microsoft to resolve this.
The server you are connecting to is not registering your system or your system is not remembering that it has registered.

Good Luck,

Ken
Work Smarter Not Harder
jltn2

I am also having this problem. It occurs repeatedly every session when I have my computer on. I have tried registering, I have tried telling it not to remind me, and I have tried using he Vista updates. None of these has solved it. Since it is a piece of HP software, I expect that the fix should be with HP and look forward to hearing what it is.
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

I suspect that the program is in one of your automatic startup areas.

Try running MSCONFIG. Go to the "Startup" tab, and see what's running.

Uncheck what you don't want to have run.

Otherwise, if you're comfortable using regedit, remove the entry from the RUN area.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
jltn2

Helpful, but it's hard to know which startup programs (or services) are the ones I should deselect. Can you give any guidance on which one is the relevant program? In startup, only "HP Quickplay" or "HP health check scheduler" might be relevant (although this seems unlikely). In services "HP health check scheduler" or "health key and certificate management" may be relevant.

I don't want to just deselect essential services though! Guidance would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.
Shipra Agrawal

I have the same problem. How incredibly, incredibly annoying! The thing pops up in the middle of watching movies, etc., and won't stay away whatever option you choose. Please post a solution!
Shipra Agrawal

OK, I may have a solution. Try this to get rid of this persistent little pain in the neck from HP.

Go to HP Total Care Advisor. Click on PC Action Center. Click on Recommended Alerts. Delete the registration reminder.
Sabastian
Advisor

Hi Joven,

Follow below steps to disable Registration reminder.

1. Click the Vista Button, and in the area labeled ├в start search├в type in Task
Scheduler.
2. Click on the result at the top; Task Scheduler
3. Click on Continue if you are prompted with User Access Control asking for
permission
4. Disable the all the following tasks:

├В┬з ExtendedService Plan - After Triggered, repeat every 30 minutes indefinitely.

├В┬з HPCeeScheduleForryan After Triggered, repeat every 6 hrs for 3000 hrs
(30.00:00:00)

├В┬з InternetServiceOffers After Triggered, repeat every 30 minutes indefinitely.

├В┬з Norton Internet Security Every Friday of every week

├В┬з Registration After Triggered, repeat every 30 minutes indefinitely.

├В┬з ServicePlan Multiple Triggers Defined

Right click on the Task and select Disable.