108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Visual Basic 6 Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Bromwell
Frequent Advisor

Visual Basic 6 Problem

I created a visual basic program to retrieve information from a database. The ODBC being used in the program was created manually "outside" the program. I then created an exe file and all was well, until...
Someone asked for the exe. They don't have visual basic on their machine. The program starts when you double click the exe, but when you push the button to retrieve the data, they get "dll not found" errors. Is there a way to include these dlls or how do I create a install program that will install the needed dlls and the executable. Or must I install VB6 on their machine. The platform is Windows 95
Thanks,
Ron
life's a journey, not a destination
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Stewart
Frequent Advisor

Re: Visual Basic 6 Problem

when you build a VB program and distribute it, you can't simply copy the compiled file(the exe).. you need to use the vstudio distribution tool to create a setup package, so that all the dll's get copied.. then you'll install it on the other machine like you would some store bought software.. and it works like it should..
christopher_4
Solution

Re: Visual Basic 6 Problem

I agree 100% with what the first reply stated. Try this link if you want a step by step explanation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vbconusingvisualbasicsetupwizard.asp