108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WLAN netcard price

SOLVED
Go to solution
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

WLAN netcard price

Does someone know the price of netcard for wireless internet connection in HP laptop computer?

And What MAC-address mean? and can be changed if use another service? and how to configure?

Thanks!

Cheng
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: WLAN netcard price

Cheng:

Wireless PC Card (PCMCIA) Network Interface Cards (NICs) can cost anywhere for $10US to over $100US, depending on speed/technology required. Make sure you get something that will work with the Wireless Access Points (WAP) that you'll use.

A MAC address is a unique address that is embedded in every NIC and cannot be changed. MAC stands for Media Access Control.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

Since you've never awarded any points to anyone here in these forums, please look at this information about the 'points system':

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

Thanks.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

Yes! I saw the MAC address is printede on the card.

So when my notebook move to another city, or another country, I just wonder how can I access to new internet service?

Thanks!

Cheng

P.S. Yes! I think I sh├Г┬│uld spend more time to participate the forum
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

The new Internet Service Provider (ISP) should be able to tell you how to connect.

By The Way, it's never too late to go back to your message threads and assign points to those who helped you. Your profile is available here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/publicProfile.do?userId=CA1089804&forumId=1

Once there, you can click on the link 'my questions.'

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Cheng Luo_1
Advisor

assign the point to Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Cheng:

I wasn't fishing for points but your generosity is appreciated.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Chris Wenin
Advisor

please note that it's possible to change the mac adress.
i don't know if you are able to change it on every network adapter but i'm sure that you can change it on routers.

chris