Operating System - OpenVMS
1748285 Members
3830 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Wanted .DSF file format or .... may be disassembler for Alpha?

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Wanted .DSF file format or .... may be disassembler for Alpha?

Hi All!

I have s some re-eng task with old prog w/o source ... So, is there a way to create .DSF to help execution tracing under the DEBUG ?

TIA.

13 REPLIES 13
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Hi Ruslan,

DBG> SET STEP/INSTRUCTION and step through the program with STEP (=KP0)

And you can also examine the instruction stream with DBG> EXA/INS from_address:to_address

Volker.

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

On Alpha the .DSF is just a VMS specific file with debug information. To my knowledge the format was never published. And as far as I know, the known object/image tools can't format the debug records (neither in a .exe nor in a .dsf).

But there is a disassembler, which is known as SRM_CHECK: "$ srm_check -verbose -dump image.exe" should disassemble the code sections of the image. SRM_CHECK was/should be on the freeware CD.

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Hello!

Thanks Volker! :-)

Thanks Backer too, found the srm_check in the sys$system ...

I found some reference in the OpenVMS source listing under [...LINKER] but there is not DSF's record structure . 

John McL
Trusted Contributor

Ruslan,

Think about what would be in a .DSF file ...

- The name (or DID and FID) of the executable image

- The references that identify each line of the code

- I'm guessing the offsets and names for each symbol and each function within the code

Now maybe you can create some DSF files from known source code and figure out the DSF format from these but creating an synthesised DSF file for your program is going to be very difficult (eg. code line numbers)

Stepping through the code, displaying each instruction and figuring out what they mean might be your only way to reverse engineer it.  (I say "what they mean" because several instructions might be produced by a single line of source code.)  

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

Realize too that on the Alpha, code for a single line can be just about anywhere due to instruction scheduling.  If the image was compiled with optimization etc., the likelyhood of generating any meaningful higher level code is slim.  Also, without /DEBUG, equating register usage to actual variables vs constants will be difficult too.

Perhaps a different approach would be possible.  What exactly is the problem you are trying to resolve (other than recreating old code)?

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

I'm need to recreating  an alhorytm oh some non-lenear transformation on C or MACRO ...

H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> I'm need to recreating an alhorytm oh some non-lenear transformation on C or MACRO ...

Which I interpret (yeah, that's the real fun here in this forum :-) as a need for an entry point of a function/procedure and for disassembling from that entry point up to the end of the function/procedure, i.e its last return.

At the moment I don't see how a .DSF will help you, other than having some intermediate debug environment available, which contains the labels, symbols you assigned to code section/data already disassembled and identified.

Do  you know where the entry point is? Is the code in a shareable image? A shareable image could have some global symbols to start with.

As already mentioned by others, constructing either a MACRO or even a C source will be difficult, if the original source was compiled with optimization, something I would assume for such an algorithm. There is nothing in the image telling you how the sources were compiled. And even if you know that the source was compiled with /noopt, it is difficult to find out where in the code stream one high-level language line/statement starts or ends. To me it looks like, the best you can get is a Macro64 source. And if the function/procedure uses static data, you have to find that too.

PS: I don't know AEST good enough whether it can produce some information on what it found in an Alpha image, but looking at its documentation and what kind of information it can provide may be useful.

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Details such as the DSF data and the embedded string symbol data can provide good clues into the general organization and the purpose of specific routines within the code, when performing reverse-engineering.  

There's no means to create a matching DSF file from an existing image.  That's the whole point of the DSF file; it's somewhere for the LINKER to put this data, if it's not stored in the executable itself.

Start reversing the code, using a disassembler and "strings" and related tools.   Or figure out from the API documentation or from the input and output or whatever this particular tool is doing, and re-implement the code.

If you don't have the source listings, then ring up HP.  Ask for the DSF format.  But expect you're going to be spending a whole lot of time on the reverse-engineering.

There are some pretty good disassemblers available for more common operating systems — tools such as Hex-Rays and IDA Pro — but AFAIK there are no similar tools for OpenVMS.   SRM_CHECK and such is what's available.

Ruslan R. Laishev
Super Advisor

Hoff, thanks for the answer.

Do you meant VMS-source listing ? I have V8.2 but did not found something about the .DSF file record structure/format.