108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Wanting to Learn HP-UX

SOLVED
Go to solution
William Voit

Wanting to Learn HP-UX

Hello,
I am wanting to learn HP-UX and how it interacts with software the company I work for produces. I am looking at two machines that are within my budget and would like opinions about which would be better for a newbie to play with. I have access to the companies HP-UX machines, but I am wanting one for myself to play with and break without the worry of causing other problems that are possibly using the machine. I am looking at the following:
1. A HP9000 Visualize C3000 72GB of disk space, a CD, 1GB RAM and FX4.
2. A3284A HP 9000/K460-1 way Enterprise Server with 36GB disk space, a CD, 1GB RAM.

Since I am not knowledgable about these machine, I would like to hear all feedback on this. Which would be better for someone like myself to learn HP-UX. I tend to learn more through playing with an evironment first before going to a class, so this is a starting point.

Also, if you can direct me to a place where I can get a console (not a monitor) for either machine that would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice.
13 REPLIES 13
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Wanting to Learn HP-UX

I would go for the C3000. That is a very nice machine and will outperform the K460 fairly easily. Not to mention that the C3000 is much smaller than the K. The C is the size of a large PC.

For the C3000, a regular monitor would actually be better than a console, especially with the FX4 graphics card. This would allow you to use CDE as well. I use a Dell LCD monitor on my C3000.

If you really want just a terminal console (HP 700/96 or similar) then just search E-bay. You should be able to find something.
doug mielke
Respected Contributor

The K class has some disadvantages. I think the 460 will not run 64 bit hpux. Any parts for it, including upgrades, are expensive on a capacity basis. It's also physically large.
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It depends on what you want to learn. C3000 is a workstation, compact, doesn't occupy space and you get a feel more like a PC.

On the other hand K460 is a real server that you can see in the data centers and possibly be a critical production server for a company. I say 'possibly' because K-class has been outdated and many of them have been replaced with later servers.

You will get a real feel of HP servers if you choose K460 at the hardware level. From the OS perspective, it doesn't matter much.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I would go with the C-box. Prior to HP-UX 11.0 the codebase for workstations and servers was different but as of 11.0 they are one and the same. What you learn on one will apply to the other. The C-box is a much more convenient (in terms of size and performance) than the K-box and will use significantly less energy. You can get a 700/96 terminal from any of the HP used equipment sources (e.g. www.pmount.com, www.genisyscorp.com) or simply look on eBay. Unless you have a compelling reason to use a terminal, the monitor serves as a perfectly adequate console for the workstation.

My only possible reason for choosing a K-box would be if I were interested in learning MC/ServiceGuard. You can make it work (kinda/sorta) on workstations but it's not supported. As you are a novice, I doubt that you will be tacking MC/SG anytime soon so my vote goes to the C-box.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The K-X60 is a PA-8000 processor and as such will run either 32-bit or 64-bit HP-UX 11.x.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
William Voit

Just to clear up the question, I am more interested in the operating system than the hardware. Learning how to deal with hardware at this point is just a bonus in the learning process, which I know that I will get a little more fimiliar with.
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

I have access to the companies HP-UX machines, but I am wanting one for myself to play with and break without the worry of causing other problems that are.

The first thing I'd look at is "how are you going to fix it once you've broken it". Without a tape device, how are you going to do backups or use ignite on this system?

for a monitor you can get one of ebay as suggested, but a 700/96 monitor uses a keyboard that has a rj11 connector. So, it is usually best to get a console that comes with a keyboard.

I usually do everything I need to do on a K system via the network from a system that is capable of running X. I don't use the console unless I have to. And, for those few times you could just get a PC to PC file transfer cable (db9 F connectors with pins 2&3 swapped) and use hyperterm on a laptop or pc. Isn't as good as having a console, but gets the job done.

The C is the better system for a beginner. But, when you want to get serious, your going to want the K. albeit, not in the configuration you've stated, but with multiple cpus, multiple disks, multiple scsi buses, multiple network connections. You'll be able to do this easier and cheaper with the K.

to use the 64 bit OS the K's firmware level will need to be at least 6.3.
William Voit

Tha answer to the question of how to fix it once I have broken it is one of two options:
1. find the problem I introduced into the system and correct it, which is preferable.
2. format the disks and reinstall the operating system. Starting from scratch again, which is more likely in the beginning.
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I have a C3000 workstation like you mention, and I love it. If all you want to do is use and learn HP-UX, you'd do well to stay with this.

Dumb consoles are readily available (cheap) on Ebay. Cheapest of all is to use the terminal emulation program on your favorite PC.

Chris