New Discussion юеВ

Wants to TELNET from RH 9.0 to HP UX 11i

SOLVED
Go to solution
John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

Wants to TELNET from RH 9.0 to HP UX 11i

Hi All,

First Post here, We're evaluating Linux powered (Red Hat 9.0) thin clients to replace our old Wyse 60 terminals.

The Linux client boot via the LTSP and then open a TELNET session against our HP UX 11i box.

However... HP UX 11i doesn't have a 'LINUX' terminal type, though we can use VT100/220/320, not all keys behave properly. Main problem for us is that in PROGRESS the PF1 through PF4 keys don't map properly under any of the 'VT' emulations.

In a nutshell, I want to know if it's possible to get complete LINUX terminal console support in a TELNET session on HP UX 11i when that TELNET Session is initiated by a LINUX client.

Thanks, any info appreciated.

-John
10 REPLIES 10
Claudio Cilloni
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Wants to TELNET from RH 9.0 to HP UX 11i

I don't know your thin clients, but setting the terminal type to 'xterm' maybe helps. Both HP-UX and linux know this terminal.
Try setting the env variable TERM to xterm (export TERM=xterm).

Hope this helps!

Ciao,
Claudio
Graham Cameron_1
Honored Contributor

Does the Linux box have a LINUX terminal type ?
Does linux have an "untic" utility, like hp-ux does?

If so, you can run untic to generate a terminal source file on the linux box, then copy to hp-ux and run tic to compile the terminal definition.

See "man untic", "man tic".

-- Graham
Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done.
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

The PF1..PF4 on original vtxxx are for think like setup (PF3) etc ... therefore "PROGRESS" is doing it right !.

I think what you want is in fact a "PC keyboard" emulation !

I dont know what this could be in progress

You can probably remap theses key's to suite your need's

on the linux side a man 5 termcap will tell you more ... and doing a

# grep "linux console" /etc/termcap
gives
----
linux|linux console:\
linux-c-nc|linux console 1.3.x hack for ncurses only:\
linux-c|linux console 1.3.6+ with private palette for each virtual console:\
---------

maybe this help you figure out the emulation "type/name" you need in "progress"

and yes tic and untic are present on linux

hope all of this is of some use

J-P

Smile I will feel the difference
Matthew Couper
Frequent Advisor

I had the same problem using the default Gnome Console.
I found that xterm has support for vt220 and started using that. Worked like a charm for me, the only extra commands I had to give the xterm when launching were cosmetic (color, font size, scroll bar...)

Being thin clients I doubt they get a chance to start a custom xterm, so this may need to be added into the .bashrc like

exec xterm
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Had a chech yes tic is there but not untic
also shopping around I found this link that explains it well ( but a long read !)

http://www.europe.redhat.com/documentation/HOWTO/Text-Terminal-HOWTO-15.php3

keep us informed of progress !

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

Thanks everyone for the help so far, i've now got some ideas to follow up.

The thin client boots in character mode, so there's no GUI running, the client literally boots up and then opens a telnet immediately against the HP UX box, it doesn't even run a local profile that I am aware of.

I'll try the term types that were mentioned.

-John
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

John, Did you ever figure out a solution. I have been looking for a LINUX-based terminal emulation package for Wyse60 that doesn't cost alot; preferrably free! The Powerterm emulator works, but is expensive.
rdarling@southwickclothing.com
John O'Neill_6
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Wow, this is one from the past.

Yes we did in fac find a solution, we dealt with a group called 'Everything Linux' in Australia, they were able to configure a Red Hat Linux sysem running what is known as an LTSP server.

So we put that server into our rack and bought another ethernet switch, we configured a 2nd NIC on our unix host and connected the HP UX machine's 2nd NIC to the switch.

We then connected the LTSP to the same switch, it runs DHCP and PXE, the HP UX host runs a fixed IP Address along with the LTSP server.

We then bought about 8 diskless workstations which boot via PXE, they are all connected to this new ethernet switch, so i've got a small seperate physical network in place just for our terminals.

They all boot up off the LTSP server and open a TELNET session to the HP UX server.

Works a treat, all the function keys, highlighting, bolding of displays work perfectly.

Had it in place for about three years now and so far (touch wood) not had a single drama, if a terminal fails for whatever reason we just replace it, we also back an identical backup LTSP server just in case we have an issue there.. can't be too careful.

Hope this helps.

-John
Richard Darling
Trusted Contributor

John,

Thanks for the info.; but this is a little more than I need. I'm going to use old W98 boxes with Powerterm for Windows - got licenses for Windows, but wa shoping to strat replaceing boxes in the factory with Linux boxes.

Richard
rdarling@southwickclothing.com