Operating System - HP-UX
1753259 Members
5611 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

MAD_2
Super Advisor

Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

Anyone has an idea of why this message keeps scrolling on my screen when I start the Oracle Universal Installer?

Scenario:

I have a HP-UX 11.0 64 bit and am trying to install Oracle 8.1.7.3 using a Solaris Xwindows display for the installation Display, since I have no XWindow on my RP5470.

I mount the CD, log out of my root session and log back in as oracle which belongs to the oinstall group and start the installation from the /home/oracle directory with the following command:
/SD_CDROM/oraInstall

After I type the command, I get my Installation screen on the Solaris XWindow, but my HP-UX keeps displaying the following message:

Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface system-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*t
Warning: Cannot convert string "-dt-interface user-medium-r-normal-s*-*-*-*-*-*t

Any ideas? I have not started the installation yet, I would like to have a good idea of what this means.

Thanks!
Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It's just very particular about who it makes friends with
1 REPLY 1
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Warning: Cannot convert string... with Oracle Universal Installer...

Adam,

This is a message associated to X-Fonts. You can look into xfs under /etc/rc.config.d/xfs to turn on the X-Font Server. Bill Hassell and many others have written a lot about how to repair this issue by editing catalog lines and adding a few things .profile will access.

Do a search on what you're seeing and you'll find a lot of answers.

This URL will show the general idea:

http://www2.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000024603696

HTH,

Dave