108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What is the best OS alternative fon an HP K Class 9000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Diego Smalinsky
Occasional Contributor

What is the best OS alternative fon an HP K Class 9000

Hi, we are recycling an old HP K class 9000 Server (819)
that today is running HP-UX 10.20 B.
The question is:
What is the best OS for this machine?
I looked at Openbsd, parisc-linux, hp-ux, what I'm not really sure about the best option (if it is Open source, better)
Another question: Do anyone now how to reorder the CD with the HP-UX from HP (My IT manager is looking for it everywhere, but we can't find the CD).

Thanks,
Diego Smalinsky.
Let's make your mind Open Source ;)
2 REPLIES 2
Kodjo Agbenu
Honored Contributor

Hello,

On HP9000/PaRisc, the best choice is HP-UX 11.x. If I were you, on a K-class I would install Hp-ux 11i (32 or 64-bit version, depending on the amount of memory you have).

Of course, as a Linux user an OpenSource fan I can say Parisc-Linux is a good choice, but you'll have to support the solution for yourself. Don't expect any support, even from the OpenSource community. The reason is very simple : most people using OpenSource products are not rich enough to have a K-class in their kitchen, between the micro-wave and the coffee machine.

As far as I know, OpenBSD is not running on Parisc machines.

Last information : as HP-UX 10.20 support is going to be definitely stopped the 1st july 2003, the last CD orders must be made before the 1st of July 2002 (in 2 months).

Contact your HP Services sales representatives to get a media set of HP-UX 10.20 in the next 2 months.

Good luck.

Kodjo
Learn and explain...
Martin Burnett_2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello Diego,

I would not recommend palinux on a K-Class, better to use HP-UX 11.11 (11i) or 11.0.

To order a software CD contact the contracts division at 1-800-386-1115.

OR

Order it through the ITRC web site:

Hewlett Packard's Software Update Manager (SUM) puts you in control of software updates that are delivered via physical media and/or available for electronic download.

1. Go to www.itrc.com
2. Under Maintenance and Support
3. Select Software Update Manager (SUM)
4. Select Order Software Updates
5. Select your Operating system

Thanks for participating in the forums,

Martin
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.