Operating System - HP-UX
1752288 Members
3521 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What it means ndd -h unsupported parameters?

Irfan Ahmed_1
Advisor

What it means ndd -h unsupported parameters?

I want to know the meaning on unsupported network tuning parameters.
Please correct me if I am wrong...

1. The HP-UX suggests/recomonds us not to change the default setting, but if we change the default value of this unsupported parameter the changes we expect after are going to happen.

2.The ndd command accepts a modification of "unsupported" parameters, it could be that they are not really changed inside the IP stack

3.If anything else please let me know

Waiting for ur reply.......
5 REPLIES 5
R. Sri Ram Kishore_1
Respected Contributor

Re: What it means ndd -h unsupported parameters?

Hi Irfan,

Check if this doc helps:
http://www.interex.org/topic/TechLab98/S.C.tuning.html

Regards,
Sri Ram
"What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator."
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Irfan,

From the man page itself

//Display all the unsupported tunable parameters. This set of parameters are not supported by HP and modification of these tunable parameters are not suggested nor recommended. Setting any unsupported tunable parameters on your system may result in adverse effects to your networking operations.//

Note the point "adverse effects". For ex., tcp_discon_by_addr parameter can take your application down if not carefully used.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Muthukumar_5
Honored Contributor

ndd -h unsup or ndd -h unsupported will give the HP's not recommeded parameter informations there. As suggested on ndd man page, it will make problem on application execution / related functionalites there.

But we can bypass ndd unsupported parameters to get some needable changes there. You can try on ip_check_subnet_addr ndd parameter.

Refer:
http://sysunconfig.net/unixtips/hp_zero_tip.txt

Anyway if you change a network parameter on command shell it will be kept upto the reboot there. IF you want to take permanent effect then configure on /etc/rc.config.d/nddconf file there.

Also refer,
http://www.blacksheepnetworks.com/security/resources/hpux_check.html
on "Network Tuning"

HTH.
Easy to suggest when don't know about the problem!
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Basically, when an ndd setting is listed as "unsupported" it means that while you can change it, you are on your own if it does something nasty.

The change may or may not do what you expect, and in subsequent releases (maybe even patches, although it isn't very likely) that tunable may or may not be there, and may or may not still do the same thing.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Irfan Ahmed_1
Advisor

I found the solution..
Thanks everyone who actively participated & helped me in solving the problem.