3761 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What processes are not expendable?

Bill_55
Occasional Contributor

What processes are not expendable?

Strange question.

I am pushing my HP Pavilion N5000 laptop to the limit on the second graphics card using PowerPoint XP and Windows XP Home in dual monitor mode with multiple animations and videos. I would like to see if closing some of the active processes (ctl-alt-del screen) would improve the performance of the second video output by interrupting the processor less.

The system has a 1 gig AMD Athlon processor, 512 ram and 40 gigs HDD should be plenty, but in dual screen mode the lesser video card does the most visible work.

What can't I kill? Is there a comprehensive list of what each of the processes actually does, somewhere?

Thank you for helping a starving artist (well, I not really starving, but I'm not much of an artist either).

If this needs to be addresses in a different forum, please point me in the right direction.
2 REPLIES 2
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: What processes are not expendable?

I wouldn't start out by killing processes. Besides it's more like what is there that you CAN kill.

Look under the Startup group to decide what programs to remove.

Look under the following Registry keys: HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run

HK Users/ for the same areas to POSSIBLE remove and auto-loading software.

If it were MY choice, I'd look at what could be done about upgrading the processor and moving to a DDR memory based (128-256MB) video card.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: What processes are not expendable?