Operating System - Microsoft
1752812 Members
5950 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

When I use the Keyboard the Computer freezes

Gabriel Grimes

When I use the Keyboard the Computer freezes

I have a HP Pavilion and yesterday I stumbled across this problem. After the computer boots up, if I attempt to press any button on the keyboard the computer freezes. I ran a virus, and spybot scan and came up with nothing. and teh problem remains.

I found a similar problem on the Forum but after adding the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\WD
f01000.sys]
@="Driver"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\WD
f01000.sys]
@="Driver"

I rebooted and the computer continues with the same problem. Can anyone help me?

G
4 REPLIES 4
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: When I use the Keyboard the Computer freezes

Hi G,
Have you tried another keyboard?

If you enter the bios of your system, does the keyboard respond normal?

Have you tried to boot in safe mode? (hopefully pressing F8 just before windows loads still works)

You can try to remove the keyboard from devicemanager and reboot You can find devicemanger by rightclicking My computer and choose manage. Select devicemanager on the left and search for you keyboard on the right and rightclick the keyboard. Then uninstall it.

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Ashly A K
Honored Contributor

hi!

1. is the key board working in CMOS ?(ie: ur able to navigate and change values using key board ? )
2. is the same key board working in another systm ?
3. is another keyboard working with the system, which is having issues ?
4. Is the keyboard working in safe mode/command prompt ?
5. Any Interrupt conflicts reported ?
http://www.geocities.com/helponhpopenview
Gabriel Grimes

Hello,

I've tried to start the computer in Safe Mode but when I press teh "F8" button the prior to opeing up the Windows program the keyboard freezes up. This was hard to figure out since I had to repeat this action several times at different stages of the boot-up process. But all came back with a frozen Keyboard.

I haven't tried using another keyboard but I will.

What I did do, was send it to a Tech who mentioned that there is a device under the CD/DVD drive that handles the keyboard function. In his opinion the device or "chip" is damaged due to the heat the CD/DVD generated rendering it useless.

"Does that even sound Right?"

thanks for the help.
G
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi again,
in theory it can be done that heat damages a chip, but I never came across this.

If this is the case, the problem can be solved by buying an USB-keyboard. It will take a while for windows to detect an USB-keyboard, so if you attache it it will take a few minutes.

Also if the keyboard-chip is damaged you can not do anything in the Bios, (Hit F10 when you see the HP logo)

Have a nice day,
HTH, Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"