Operating System - HP-UX
1752802 Members
5886 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

When using Oracle 9i on HP-UX should I do following?

xiongye_2
Occasional Advisor

When using Oracle 9i on HP-UX should I do following?

1 Change shmmax kernel parameter
2 Enabling SCHED_NOAGE for Oracle9i using
# setprivgrp dba RTSCHED RTPRIO
create the /etc/privgroup add "dba RTSCHED RTPRIO"
3 AIO
3.1 Enable MLOCK Privilege
# setprivgrp dba MLOCK and add "dba MLOCK" to /etc/privgroup
3.2 Implementing Asynchronous I/O Using AIO
All these is I read from oracle's recommend, I do not know what others should I also need to do? Thanks !!!
xysco
1 REPLY 1
Andrew S Babb
Advisor

Re: When using Oracle 9i on HP-UX should I do following?

To answer these questions in reverse order;
AIO is only really needed if you are planning on deploying the database on RAW partitions as opposed to File Systems. The one step which you have not mentioned is the creation of the /dev/async device file, and the installation of the asyncdsk module in the kernel.

SCHED_NOAGE is worth while as it prevents the process from being preempted. There is an init.ora parameter that also needs to be set, the value dependant upon weather you are running 11 or 11i

Shared Memory parameters need to be configured depending upon the application(s) being deployed. In addition to shmmax which should be set to the value of physical memory, the remainder of the parameters are dependant upon the number of processes that you require. I do not have access at this time to the system, but the Oracle Manuals have the other shared memory parameters (shmmns, etc)

What else is an open ended question. If you are planning on deploying the iAS as well, then you will need to look into msg* parameters.

Also, make sure that you have enough system table parameters such as nproc, nfile, maxfiles, maxfile_lim, max_users

Hope this helps