Operating System - HP-UX
1748185 Members
3819 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Where to get HP-UX Core OS CD

Paul Mohr

Where to get HP-UX Core OS CD

I currently have an HP 9000 K-Class server in my possession, which had HP-UX v11 (I believe) installed on it. Somehow the boot drive was wiped clean, and we have no installation media, specifically the HP-UX Core OS CD.

We have several CDs, but they are all documentation or 'extra applications', etc.

Is there any way I could obtain a copy of this CD, maybe from one of you forumgoers or from HP themselves?

I understand that one needs a license to use HP-UX, but given that it only runs on HP hardware, and that the server in question was donated to us, I believe that the 'license' question is moot.

Thank you in advance for your replies.
13 REPLIES 13
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: Where to get HP-UX Core OS CD

Offically, if you have an up to date support contract, yes you can get releases of CD's.

Unofficially, someone may help, but you didn't hear that from me.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

I believe if you are truly a not-for-profit, HP has a program that would benefit you w/o cost. They have programs for educational institutions & home-based systems as well. The key being you're not going to use the systems to conduct a for-profit business.
I'd encourage you to contact your local HP office & inquire as to this/these programs if you are such. If not, I doubt you're going to get anybody to bite here. Good Luck

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

if you have a support contract:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=186409

if not:
sometimes you'll see a set of cd for sale on ebay

to get you up:
i'm sure if you supply your information, someone could make an ignite tape backup of a system for you or borrow you an installation cds
Paul Mohr

Thanks for the quick replies.

This server was donated to the Applied Research Labs, a building set up for research in several different clusters for local schools. This server was donated, appropriately, to the Data Communications cluster.

We have been trying to have the students work on this server to learn some Unix, or as close as they'll come to it as a class project of sorts.

We do not have a support contract, nor have I been able to get in touch with the company that donated this server for.

Jeff - Thanks for the lead, I will inquire to HP regarding the not-for-profit program.

I am not quite sure of the exact model number, I will know when I head out to the ARL tomorrow, but it's an HP 9000 K-Class with dual 200 MHz processors, 512 MB of RAM, and 20 of those hotplug 7200 RPM 4 GB SCSI drives in the front array. It also has a CD-ROM and tape drive in the front panel, with a single SCSI drive below those, which I assume is the boot device.

As far as I know it's a stock configuration, does anyone have an idea of which model number it could be? I know it's a very broad question to ask, and with minimal information, but worth a shot.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

To be sure either when you get there, or call sombody, have a look inside the little door at the front of the machine. This will tell you exactly the model, also some of the hardware addressing for the CD, the tape drive and internal disks.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The model of thye server is printed on the door that opens to reveal the tape and/or CDROM drive. The model is not particularly important as it will run current and older versions of HP-UX. The way HP licensing works is that each box is sold with a license (and CD) to use HP-UX at the revision that was shipped with the box. The K-class is fairly old so it may have come with version 10.x or 11.x.

If the company that donated the box did not supply you with the CD and the license (right to use), then the machine is no longer licensed and a new license and CD must be purchased. The license+CD will probably cost you more than purchasing another K-box on eBay, but if you contact the local HP office, they may be able to work something out.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
curt larson_1
Honored Contributor

the model number of the system is either a k370 or k570 (only models that have 200 mhz cpus).

These can run either 32 or 64 bit versions of the OS.
you'll need to check the firmware level to see if it is uptodate.

If AUTOBOOT is on, you will receive the following message:

"Process is starting autoboot process
To discontinue, press any key within 10 seconds."

At this point, press ANY KEY within 10 seconds to interrupt the booting process.

The Main Menu is displayed. A prompt will appear

Enter the command "in".
Enter the command "fv"

Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

HP is no longer selling HP-UX 11.0, so it might be hard to obtain that media product directly. The part number for the CD media only for 11i v1 version of HP-UX Operating Evironment is B3920EA with option UM9.
(option UM4 was for 11.0 on the same part number). No license to use is included.

The 11i v1 HP-UX Enterprise Operating Environement CD media is B7993AA with option UM9. No license to use is included
The 11i v1 HP-UX Mission Critical Operating Environment CD media is B7994AA with option UM9. Again, no license to use is included.

Licenses to use the OS are sold separately on a per CPU basis for 11i.
Mom 6
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

DISCLAIMER ---- I do not advocate going this route and I'm really not even sure that it is completely legal!

I just found on E-bay an older HP-UX 11i Media kit that includes the core OS cds and Applications CDs.

Have a look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4619&item=3677672431&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW