Operating System - HP-UX
1752664 Members
5318 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Which process it using all my disk I/O ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Love
Occasional Advisor

Which process it using all my disk I/O ?

Hi Forum,

I have a problem on an HP-UX 11.11 server. Every so often disk I/O max's out at 100%. It will be like this for a few minutes then return to normal - it is apparently happening randomly and I have no idea what is causing it. I have tried to work it out by using Glance but to be honest, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Whilst disk I/O is at 100% how can I find out which process is causing it?

Many thanks,

Dave.
8 REPLIES 8
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Dave,

You can use "sar" to find out. Do a "man sar" for more information.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Dave,

Do you use the GUI interface to Glance? If so, here is how I would approach this.

From the GPM Main window, select Reports > Process List. In the Process List window, select Configure > Sort Fields. That brings up a window where you highlight the field you want to sort on and move that field to the leftmost side - the field are sorted from left to right so moving Phys IO Rate all the way to the left will show you your most I/O intensive process.

Pete

Pete
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you are using Glance and you are seeing this 100% Disk IO utilisation AND you have not done any tweaks of you measureware package - then it is not an accurate porrayal of the actual IO performance. The Out of the Box Glance stats for Disk IO will flag the system as I/O bound even if just one disk is busy. Even the rationale for flagging a single disk as busy is suspect.

Use "sar -d" to see individual disk performance and observe if you have higher than normal average wait and service times. Pay close attention as well on which disks have queue lengths in excess of 0.
Hakuna Matata.
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I concur with Pete.

If you have glance then sort the process screen by physical io/s. This should put the top user at the top of the list and now the process is identified.

Sandman!
Honored Contributor

Try to isolate the I/O bottleneck using sar and post the output here if possible:

# sar -d 5 50

cheers!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Can one of you sar proponents explain to me how that is going to identify the process? I can see where it would identify the device, but Dave wants to know the process. Given this requirement, Glance would seem to be the obvious answer.

Pete

Pete
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Peace and Clean Earth!

And to find out the top processes consuming IO bandwidth:

Save as top_io.ksh:

-----------------------------
#!/bin/ksh
#
trap 'rm tmp$$' 0 1 2 3
cat << EOF > /var/tmp/tmp$$

process loop {
print proc_proc_id,",",proc_parent_proc_id,",", proc_user_name,",",proc_proc_name,"," ,PROC_DISK_PHYS_IO_RATE
}
EOF

/opt/perf/bin/glance -j 2 -iterations 3 -adviser_only -syntax /var/tmp/tmp$$ 2>/dev/null

-----------------------

Then:
top_io.ksh|sort -t, -nr -k 5,5|head -10|awk -F, '{printf "%7.1f %5d %5d %8s %-30s\n", $5,$1,$2,$3,$4}'

Hope this helps..

Hakuna Matata.
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor

If you want to trace the **process(es)** responsile for the high IO, use glance (the ASCII version).

- select "o" for options
- edit the following line
Sort key (name/cpu/disk/rss): disk

and the top process is the one consuming the most IO. Jobs-a-good-un

If you want to trace the disk which is being hit the most sar is useful, ... but glance is better. (I am a fan of glance)

glance -u or use "u" option
This shows the disks utilisations of all the disks, and you can see which disk is being hit the most.

Regards

Tim

-