Operating System - Microsoft
1748112 Members
3444 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

While Initializing device IFSMGR...blue screen of death...

Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

While Initializing device IFSMGR...blue screen of death...

I was doing an OS update from ME to win2k and i encountered a few problems. First when the system restarted during the install i get a message on a black screen of "TO ENVOLKE CD-ROM PRESS ANY KEY", or something along those lines...I do not because i have already passed that step in the install. But what happens is the computer then freezes at that point and i have loss of all keyboard use. I have to hold the power down to shut the machine off. If i start it back up and dont press any key within the few allowed seconds it will freeze again, but if i do continue and hit a key, then it goes to the setup again, which was already preformed...it is like i am in a loop.

So after becoming frustrated i abort myu installation of win2k and proceed to reinstall winME with the HP recovery disks. all seemed to go fine, untill the time came to start the OS back up. And low and behold the screen freezes and nothing is possible.
If i use a startup disk i can get to DOS and if i execute the WIN command to start windows i get the blue screen of death which states:

WHILE INITIALIZING DEVICE IFSMGR:
THE MICROSOFT INSTALLABLE FILES MANAGER CANNOT FIND THE HELPER DRIVER. PLEASE ENSURE THE IFSHLP.SYS IS INSTALLED.

Can someone please help, as now this computer is useless

Cheers, and sorry for the long novel like post.

Matt Clarke
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
4 REPLIES 4
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Re: While Initializing device IFSMGR...blue screen of death...

If it was my machine, I'd delete the existing partition, then re-partition, re-format and re-install W2K from scratch.
Ronald Hitzler
Frequent Advisor

Several MS products have a problem with install if there is a virus on the hdd.
Boot with a clean disk or a cd and delete all partitons.
Maybe this will help.
Matthew Clarke
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the insight, but i had to take the "format c = fun" route. I could not waste anymore time on this machine.

Thanks again,'

Matt Clarke
if you dont ask, you will never know :)
rajesh mathur

There is a good article given in Microsoft KB. It resolves this issue easily. Please visit this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q258471

You may also search for article # q258471 in the Microsoft knowledge base. Please visit the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;rid;kbinfo

Never misuse Internet. Use it to add values in your personality.