Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
General
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't i connect to the internet

David O'Hare
Occasional Contributor

Why can't i connect to the internet

After a lot of messing around i have finally got my redhat 9 installed. I have a Packard Bell Easy Note laptop. I set up my internet details from my previous Freeserve account and everything seemed ok. I can't find anywhere to actually dial-up and when i type in site addresses it says it cannot be found. It also tells me i am connected on the little cable icon at the bottom of the screen even when the phone line is not plugged in. I stumbled through the installation so perhaps i missed something.

I am very grateful for any help.
3 REPLIES
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't i connect to the internet

Do not know how you did the initial set up, but as you talk of an icon at the bottom of screen
I gather X is now up and runnig !

Yo setup internet click on the bottom left (usualy) redhat(main menu) then select system tools > internet configuration wizard

this will allow you to setup/configure your hook up to the internet.

Hope this helps

J-P
Smile I will feel the difference
Huc_1
Honored Contributor

forgive speeling errors I type to fast for my own good sometimes.

If you still have problems please, let us kown if we can help you any futher.

enjoy,

J-P

Smile I will feel the difference
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello David,

you have not written how you do intend to connect. I really like having a small Cable/DSL router on the network. Just one place to configure things and all your systems at home can use it.

Greetings, Martin