Operating System - Linux
1753965 Members
7626 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Why can't my Fedora load find these files?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

sorry for coming back late to the dance. The basic structure of the layout of your X11 libraries is independent of the way you installed them (build from source or extracted from RPM), so you just make sure that RPM does get synched again with what you actually have installed.

And just because I am paranoid, I would do a backup of the files in /var/lib/rpm for safety ;-)

Greetings, Martin
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Martin,

Don't worry about coming back late to the dance. It's my party and I stepped away from it for a while as well :-P

Now for a quick catch-up on what I have done since my last entry and how it did/didn't work:

After placing my last question on exactly what syntax to use with the ldconfig command and receiving no answer in my patience limit (some days longer than others), i tried running it with simply the -v option. Many things scrolled across the screen and it was an impressive site to a newbie like me. However when all the smoke cleared and I tried the up2date again it still returned the same errors. This supported Stuart's statement even before he made it.

Now, to follow along with Martin's original suggestion of going back to the install media and, as Stuart has explained, telling the system a bit of a white lie (which I have NO problems with). I'm guessing that I should be able to simply search through the install media one disk at a time for the XFree86*.RPM since I am not familiar with enough with them to know it's location by heart. If this is a true statement, then the rest of it should be pretty simple.

One quick point of clarification on that command. Since this will be on a CD, I'm assuming that the system probably won't know exactly where to find it without some direction. Will the actual command be something more like:

rpm -i -v --justdb

or am I trying to over-complicate things?
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

OK,

If things weren't complicated before, they are now (at least for me).

I found the Xfree86*.rpm files on my install CD. The problem is that there are 8 (eight) different ones. How do I determine which of the 8 to use for this little white lie I'm going to tell to the box?

BTW, the ones that I found are:

# find /mnt/cdrom -name XFree86*.rpm -print
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-xauth-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-xfs-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-font-utils-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm
/mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm

Pointers please??

Thanks,
John
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

There'll be more on another CD :)

But i'm picking you'll just need to do this with the XFree86-libs RPM.

And yes, fully-path as you thought.
One long-haired git at your service...
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hello John,

was (actually am) sick with a flu :-(.

The package you want is /mnt/cdrom/Fedora/RPMS/XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42.i386.rpm

To see what is in the package use

rpm -q -l -p

Greetings, Martin
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry guys, I almost forgot about this one. My life has moved on since then.

I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that this issue seems to be resolved. The bad news is that I blew the box up in the process and ended up reloading. The damage had already been done by the time Stuart had put his last entry in.

Just for everybody else's benefit, I should tell the person searching for fixes to an issue like this that they should more likely than not follow the great advise provided by the gentlemen above and NOT on a little package called 'apt-get' (which is what prompted my last reload). While my approach to it promised big results, it didn't deliver the way one would have hoped.

Thanks to each of you for your input. I will keep all of this in mind for the next similar issue I come across.

John