108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

WinXP Wireless Zero Config Service

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim Rotunda
Frequent Advisor

WinXP Wireless Zero Config Service

I am running WinXP on a Dell C640 and I seem to have lost my ???Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration??? services. I have been trying to get two different wireless cards working (d-link and linksys) and somewhere along the line I lost the service. I have tried to run recovery from CD and reapply service packs, etc, but nothing seems to work. I dread the thought of reinstalling XP cold so I am hoping someone know what I can do short of that.
Thanks for any help.
Tim
9 REPLIES 9
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: WinXP Wireless Zero Config Service

Tim:

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services, find Wireless Zero Config and make sure it is started. If not start it.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Tim Rotunda
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the info...but, it isn't in services. I would like to reinstall it without reinstalling windows.
Tim
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Tim:

Try this from the Command Prompt: C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Tim Rotunda
Frequent Advisor

Nothing happened. What is it supposed to do?
Tim
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Tim:

On my WINXP PC, if I go into Services and right click on Wireless Zero Config and select Properties, the contents of the Path to Executable field is "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

I guess I expected it to launch something, at the very least the Properties dialog box. Sorry!

Try going to a command prompt and type 'net start "wireless zero configuration"'

It will either start or post an error indicating it's already started.

FWIW, in my Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC, I have 11 statements (strings, multi-strings, expandable strings and DWORDs. Check if you have something similar. If not, perhaps I can help you rebuild. Same contents in ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and ControlSet003.

HTH!

Roger

Make a great day!

Roger
Tim Rotunda
Frequent Advisor

I did the smart thing....reloaded from primary and now everything works. Turns out the D-link install removed Zero Conf.

Thanks,
Tim
Ralph Russell
Solution

Open you wireless connection properties in control panel, net connection, net connection, wireless net connection, properties, general. Then click install, service, add, have disk. Browse up C:\windows\inf\netwzc.inf and and install it.

This should reinstall XP's Wireless Zero Config Service so that your 11b adapter starts working again.
Ralph Russell

Open your wireless connection properties in control panel, net connection, net connection, wireless net connection, properties, general. Then click install, service, add, have disk. Browse up C:\windows\inf\netwzc.inf and install it.

This should reinstall XP's Wireless Zero Config Service so that your 11b adapter starts working again.
Devin Gott

Ok this is the fix! you need to add a new REG_DWORD to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC it gonna look like this:

Start REG_DWORD 0x00000002 (2

Well i hope this helps.

Devin