Operating System - Microsoft
1752610 Members
4234 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Windows XP and mouse problem

Chris Barker_6

Windows XP and mouse problem

I recently upgraded to WinXP Pro on a HP Pavilion 6635 and am now having problems with my mouse. I have not had problems before when using the mouse on Windows 98. I have plugged in other mouses that work on different computers, but they do not work either. I looked up some solutions on this forum, went into the BIOS, changed the OS to Win2000 and the P/S2 (I think) option to enable. The mouse worked after this, but when I restarted the computer while the mouse was working the mouse did not work when it booted up. Now, everytime I boot up the computer if I go into the BIOS the mouse will work. If I do not go into the BIOS the mouse will not move. The cursor shows up on the screen, reacts to links, and shows the hour glass when something is loading. It's pretty inconvenient to go to the BIOS everytime I load up so I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this. I was thinking about updating the BIOS. Will that solve my problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris
4 REPLIES 4
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Windows XP and mouse problem

Sounds like your battery is dead. The BIOS configuration is usually stored on CMOS chips which are powered by an onboard battery. When the battery dies your BIOS config reverts to the default every time power goes off. Usually this is a CR2032 which costs about $3 at your local drugstore or electronics outlet.

http://data.energizer.com/datasheets/library/primary/lithium_coin/cr2032.pdf

Open up your PC and see if you can find one that looks like the one in the picture at the above location.

I assume you are saving your changes when you exit from the BIOS.

Ron
Chris Barker_6

Thanks for the reply, but I save my changes everytime and they stay saved everytime. It's just that if I don't access the BIOS before booting up, that's when my mouse doesn't work. I don't have to change anything, I just have to physically go into the BIOS and then exit them. Is that battery only for when the BIOS are not saving?
Bruce_92

I am having the same problem with an HP 6635 I have found that If I unplug the mouse a few times and plug it back in then it will work. This to is very annoying and inconvenient. I have searched for a solution and am still trying to find one. Wanted to let you know that you are not the only one with this problem. Was looking for an answer to your problem to see if it would help me. Good Luck
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

It seems that you started to have this problem ever since you upgraded to WinXP Pro.
You should have flashed the BIOS prior to the upgrade.
However, go here, download and flash the BIOS then go into the BIOS to reset to default settings:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=57651тМй=en&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228

Hope this help.
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003