New Discussion юеВ

Re: Word and Excel Files close on opening

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Word and Excel Files close on opening

Hello everyone,
I have a user whose wrod and excel files shrink to minimum after double clicking them to open them. The files are OK - its just that when he clicks on a file to open it Word or Excel will open the file but then minimize it. He then must unminimize the files. Strange thing and have not seen anything like it before or any help anywhere about this.
Work Smarter Not Harder
8 REPLIES 8
Dexter Filmore
Honored Contributor

Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Dear Ken,

Check for the virus ? I hv faced a similar issue due to virus.

HtH,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

i assume opening word by itself shows a full window? if not, it may be remembered window position. the fix for that is to open winword and arrange windows from the task bar (cascade or tile, either way).

also try "winword.exe /a". this causes word to skip plug-ins and extensions.

lastly, those files may have a VB macro causing the minimization. word and choose the TOOLS Menu, then the macro sub menu and look for Macro Security. set macros to disabled.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor
Solution

sounds like a macro virus to me. You might also try locating and deleting all instances of "normal.dot" template file on your machine. When you restart word, it will create a new blank one; make sure that this is write protected.
Venkatesh_16
Respected Contributor

Hi Ken,

This often occurs if you close word with the x when it is not maximized, or
you right click it in the taskbar when it is minimized and select close. To rectify, open word. Maximize it. Then you must select File, Exit.

You see, windows remembers what size the screen was the last time you closed
out of it only if you close out of it correctly! If you open it, minimize
it, then don't fully open it back up before you close it with file , exit,
it's going to open not maximized again.

HTH
Venkatesh

Balaji Alapati
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ken,

Close the word application. Trying searching for this normal.dot file in your computer, it would be a hidden file, so make sure all hidden files option is set in folder option and then delete the file. Then restart the computer and try opening Word and check for the status.

Regards,
Balaji A.
A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your efforts but the Word and Excel files are now staying up but then the window orfolder Window" comes up over the Word and Excel file now.
It seems like some kind of bug.
I have Trend, MS Antispyware, Spybot, Adaware and an Kaspersky version running on the e mail server.
I have a feeling that this must be a macro bug on his system and his alone.
Thanks for the information and help.
I will ask him to remove all the macros and save to another location and reload Office.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

No solution found
Work Smarter Not Harder